Images Revamped

·        IMAGES

·         Dominant Images  – Images/motifs in the play that underscore or augment the play's action

The Pound of Flesh

·        The pound of flesh is a dominant image, because it represents Shylock's lack of mercy and bloodlust.  It is not enough for him to be paid back for his bond in money.  Antonio has always persecuted him for being Jewish and now he must pay with something truly painful, and ultimately life threatening.  This idea of being merciless is important to the play, because it is Shylock's downfall.  He ends up losing his fortune (although it is returned upon his conversion) because he did not take the Christian path and forgive Antonio his debts, or at least take Bassanio's offere of Portia's money.

The Three Caskets

·        Gold, silver and lead

o   The three caskets contain gold, silver and lead.  The prize of Portia's hand in marriage is hidden in the lead casket.  The gold and silver caskets represent wealth and glamor.  They are desirable, but also often chased after by those who are greedy.  The lead is a strong image, because, as the correct choice, it symbolizes risking everything for faith (or in Bassanio and Portia's case, love).  This idea of risk for faith follows the strong pattern of Christian ideals that can be found throughout the play.  The three caskets demonstrate the importance of ignoring greed in order to find something higher, such as love.

·         Repeated Images – Images that reappear throughout the course of the play

·        Sea Images:
The sea images apply directly to Antonio having several merchant ships at sea – they remind us again and again that everything is riding on his ships coming back safely. If they don't come back with a profit he dies at Shylock's hand.

·        "€¦the pageants of the sea" (I, 1, line 11)
"Your mind is tossing on the ocean/there where your argosies with portly sail€¦" (I, i, 8-9)
"I should not see the sandy hourglass run/ But I should think of shallows and of flats /and see wealthy Andrew docked in sand/vailing her high top lower than her ribs€¦" (I, i, 25-29)
"But fish not with this melancholy bait/ For this fool gudgeon, this opinion," (I, i, 101-102)
"when he did redeem/the virgin tribute paid by howling Troy/to the sea-monster" (III, 2, lines 57-59)
"€¦with a willow in her hand Upon the wild sea banks, and wav'd her love to come again to Caththage." (V, i, 100)

·        Religious References:
The religious references, many of them specifically Hebrew, are constantly accentuating the big Holy Christian vs. Evil Jew theme.
"When Jacob grazed his uncle Laban's sheep-/This Jacob from our holy Abram was/ As his wise mother wrought in his behalf/ The third possessor," (I, iii, 69-71)
"The Prodigal Christian€¦" (70)
"Black Monday€¦Ash Wednesday€¦" (72)
"Jacob's staff€¦" (72)
"..a gentle and no Jew" (75) – jews are bad
"€¦wise, fair and true€¦" (75)
"This shrine, this mortal breathing saint," (77)
"The figure of an angel" (78)
"Look how the floor of heaven Is thick inlaid with patines of bright gold." (V, i, 102)

·        Nature Images:
"Venus' pigeons fly€¦" (73) Venus is a reference to love and pigeons are common (not fancy).
"Strumpet wind€¦" (74) – prostitute wind
"There are a sort of men whose visages do cream and mantle like a standing pond," (I, i, 88-89)
"the lion's shadow ere himself, And ran dismay'd away" (V, i. 100) "muddy vesture of decay.." Soul will stay on earth if you don't take Christian path.

·        Famous Figures:
"€¦Hang on her temples like a golden fleece/ Which makes her seat of Belmont Colchos' strond/ And many Jasons come in quest of her," (I, i, 169-172).
"Why, hath a horse better than the Neopolitan's/ a better bad habit of frowning than the Count Palatine€¦" (I, ii, 58-59)
"If I live to be as old as Sibylla, I will die as chaste as Diana unless I be obtained by the manner of my father's will," (I, ii, 105-107)

·        Misc. Images:
The different caskets: gold, silver, and dull lead
"A carrion Death€¦" (78)
"A pound of flesh€¦" (101) – The pound of flesh image really brings to mind that it's such small amount of something, but it's worth much more than the same amount in gold to Shylock. It will also be the death of Antonio, though it be so little.
Bass' wedding ring

·        Images in the Title – Is there a dominant image in the Title? What is its importance?

The Merchant of Venice: The Merchant of Venice is referring to Antonio.  Antonio is worthy of being the title character because he represents the good Christian values reflected in the play.  He is willing to sacrifice not only his fortune, but also his well being for the good of his friend Bassanio, and he expects to gain nothing in return.  He is altruistic and caring.