Act I & Act IV (Scenes 1-3)

hey guys, sorry it took me so long to post that part that I got assigned, but I got alex’s email really late last night.  Anyway, here is the breakdown of Act I and the parts of Act IV that hadn’t been done yet. — Logan

Act IV, Scene III

Lucio is saddened by the death of Claudio and tells the disguised Duke that if Angelo were not in power and the real Duke was there, Claudio would not have been killed because the Duke himself is a sort of womanizer.

The Duke gives Isabella a letter for Friar Peter

The disguised Duke tells her that she should meet with the Duke (himself) the next day to inform the Duke of Angelo’s treachery

The disguised Duke falsely tells Isabella that Claudio has been killed

The Provost agrees

The Duke asks the Provost to take Ragozine’s head to Angelo, in place of Claudio’s

The Provost tells the Duke of the death of the pirate Ragozine, who has a close resemblance to Claudio

The disguised Duke enters and talks to Barnardine, but cannot change his mind

Barnardine is drunk before his execution and refuses to pray, therefore the execution cannot happen yet

Act IV, Scene II

The Provost agrees

The disguised Duke approaches the Provost, showing his royal seal, and tells him that Barnardine is to be executed first, in the morning, and that he should make the severed head look like Claudio when it is presented to Angelo

The Provost receives a letter from Angelo saying that Claudio MUST be executed in the morning so that the execution of Barnardine can take place in the afternoon

The Provost asks Pompey to assist the executioner in his preparations for Claudio’s execution

Act IV, Scene I

The Duke (disguised as a friar), urges Mariana to accept because she has already entered into a marriage contract with Angelo, and her actions are therefore just

Isabella tells of Angelo’s proposition to her, and that Mariana should take her place in Angelo’s bed

Isabella arrives at Mariana’s home to inform the disguised Duke of her meeting with Angelo

Act I, Scene IV

Isabella determines to talk to Angelo and to do her best to get the deputy to be merciful to her brother

Lucio explains to her how women always have a degree of power over men, simply because of their sexuality

Isabella doesn’t think that she has enough power to influence the decision

Lucio tells Isabella about Claudio’s plight and how he is to be put to death in three days

Lucio visits St. Clare, where the nuns live, and meets Isabella

Act I, Scene III

The Duke and Friar Thomas discuss the Duke’s plan and disguise him as a friar to spy on Angelo

The Duke admits his faults as a ruler, and therefore explains to Friar Thomas his choice of Angelo as deputy

The Duke does not travel far and stays in a monastery near Vienna

Act I, Scene II

Claudio asks Lucio to inform his sister, Isabella, of what has happened so that she can make an appeal to the governor

Claudio states that he intended to marry Juliet, but was arrested before he could do so

Lucio goes to the prison to visit Claudio and hear his side of the story

Lucio talks to Mrs. Overdone and learns that Claudio was sent to prison for impregnating Juliet out of wedlock, and that Claudio is to be beheaded in three days

Act I, Scene I

The Duke informs Angelo of his decision and leaves the city soon thereafter

Escalus approves of the choice
The Duke confides in his trusted friend Escalus, and asks if he made the right decision

The Duke appoints Angelo as his Deputy, in his absence

The Duke wishes to escape from being in power and having to make decisions