Teaching Economics with Children’s Literature: 10 Things I Can Do To Help My World

world.jpg

10 Things I Can Do To Help My World  is written by Melanie Walsh and is a fantastic resource for teaching students about resources and conservation.  Each page of this book provides a message about conservation such as turning off the tap while brushing your teeth will save eighteen glasses of water.  This book reminds students to unplug the television when they are not using it and to sort their recycling.  A great aspect of 10 Things I Can Do To Help My World is it’s simplicity because each of the ten actions it discusses and be easily performed by children.  Perhaps the greatest element of the book is that it is made from one hundred percent recycled material.

Curriculum Connections
This book is perfect for teaching students about how limited resources require people to make choices about producing and consuming goods and services.(2.9)  It can be used as an opener to a lesson about recycling or to explain the ecological responsibilities we have to our planet.  10 Things I Can Do To Help My World instructs students about the effect their actions can have on the world and how to make that effect more eco-friendly.

Additional Resources

• Recycling this is the EPA website on recycling.
  • Origami Garbage Bin this site provides instructions on how to make a newspaper garbage bin fold-able.
  • Why We Recycle this is a lesson plan about recycling but it requires the user to sign up for a free trial.

Book: 10 Things I Can Do To Help My World
Author: Melanie Walsh
Publisher: Candlewick Press
Publication Date: 2008
Pages: 20
Grade Range: 1-3
ISBN: 978-0-7636-4144-3

This entry was posted in book review, economics. Bookmark the permalink.