Final Project Topic Proposal: The Glass Ceiling in Film Scoring

8 Mar

For my final project, I would like to discuss female representation in film scoring. This project topic would have clear ties to our first unit, Genius, and our last unit, Gender.

This has been a topic that I have been interested in learning about for years, especially during the time that I wanted to become a film scorer. For a portion of the project, I may briefly reference female representation in classical music as classical music has had a long influence on the history of film music.

One of the female film scorers that I intend to address is Hildur Guðnadóttir, who scored Joker (2019) in addition to many other credits. I am also interested in discussing Pinar Toprak, the first female to write and compose a score for a production in the Marvel Cinematic Universe.

Until then, I would like to recommend this interview Toprak did at her alma mater:

One Reply to “Final Project Topic Proposal: The Glass Ceiling in Film Scoring”

1. Really great topic — and yes, it connects beautifully with two class themes. You’ll want to connect your research explicitly to ideas we’ve talked about in class.