The Slow Fight for Justice

This week’s readings on the history of Native American activism was very interesting to me because it related to my topic for a paper I am writing in Ethics. In my ethics class I am discussing the morality of colonialism, specifically the immorality and which parts of colonialism violated others’ liberties. But beyond that, I found this reading interesting because it brought to light an issue that isn’t often discussed. The fact is, the treatment of Native Americans by European colonists and later Americans is often buried and forgotten. People still celebrate holidays like Columbus Day and hold it up to a mythical standard as if it was a great discovery. Rather, they should be celebrating a day dedicated to remember all those indigenous cultures that were eradicated for the sake of aggressive expansion.

With all the atrocities in the history of American treatment of Native Americans, it at least brings me some consolation that the descendants of these victims haven’t forgotten by a long shot. Their voices are still being heard in an attempt to maintain what little freedoms they have been guaranteed. On too many occasions the government opts to support business expansion instead of supporting treaties they have made towards Native reservations. While today more and more people are discussing these issues, there is still a long way to go before we are ever doing them any justice.

1. Nora Apt Nora Apt

I think you make a good point about people still celebrating Columbus Day. My high school used to get that Monday off. Since I have graduated, this 4 day weekend is now called Fall Break. While there is still tremendous progress to be made, I think that small changes such as the removal of the “Columbus Day” title for that day off of school are important first steps.

2. Alexander Seeley Alexander Seeley

I think rapid expansion goes along with America’s core capitalistic value, which unfortunately undermines groups such as the Native Americans. Although I would hope there would be more aid to the Native Americans in the past and present, I don’t see much change being had as Native American impede the quick profitable growth which is so valued in our country.

3. Rachel Nugent Rachel Nugent

Mentioning the perpetuation of something like Columbus Day reminds me of a point that Sara made in ethics yesterday about weighing the different types of harm, including psychological harm. The fact that people still celebrate the beginning of colonialism in this country not only greatly affects how people perceive the entire situation but also inflicts continuous psychological harm on the communities of Native Americans that it ignores.

4. Michael Paul Michael Paul

I always love connecting leadership classes together, especially since many of the topics relate in so many ways. More unrelated to the reading, every time I visit my grandparents in Arizona, they always point out the Indian Reservation near their house and I always think that it is very small. Not only are we neglecting to teach about injustices that aren’t mainstream, but the fact that they are so apparent makes it worse that a lot still goes unnoticed.

5. Emma Joaquin Emma Joaquin

I think the point about Columbus Day leads to the question of how schools and institutions can address this day to recognize the injustices. It is a hard narrative to change given the name is Columbus Day which leads to thinking only about Columbus instead of the indigenous people hurt. Is it then crucial to change the name or just put more emphasis on recognizing the injustices?