Podcast Episode 8

Welcome to Leadership on Stage and Screen Lecture Podcast, Episode Eight.

From Elizabeth to James

Over the years—in 1569, in 1584, in 1586, and in 1594—Elizabeth had been threatened by a variety of plots to assassinate her. The Northern Rising, the Throckmorton Plot, the Babington Plot, and a series of small conspiracies masterminded by a man named William Standen…

Visit Blackboard/Podcasts for the whole episode or download here.

10 comments

1. Given that James and his wife were Catholic, were English citizens concerned that they would have to convert back to Catholicism once he became King? I know you said there weren’t any riots after Elizabeth’s death, but was there skepticism or doubt surrounding James’ appointment while there were possible protestant successors?

2. Why do you think history shows so much controversial surrounding religion? Racism is still very prevalent today but I feel like bias against religion is more taboo, besides the bouts of anti-semitism that still infect our nation. I just feel like negative biases towards others because of their religion was much more common/a bigger deal back then, and i want to know why that has changed, perse.

3. We live in a time where globalized news is standard, it takes almost no time to hear about news from any part of the world. especially something as serious as an assassination attempt of a monarch. I am curious as to how well known these events were in the time and how long it took the news to get out?

4. Was it normal to have so many people claiming the throne at once? I guess I was a little confused about how so many people can have claims at one time (through so many different people), and how the line of succession is supposed to work.

5. I feel like assassination plots were very common back then especially in the royal kingdom. What were some of the preventative measures either Elizabeth or queens/kings took against getting assassinated?

6. How much power did the monarchs actually have, as opposed to Parliament? Were they able to dictate policy as they please, or were they beholden to the House of Lords and House of Commons?

7. I’m so interested in the whole “what you look like determines how capable you are” belief of this crazy time in history. I think we can definitely see some remnants of this belief today, but it comes through more with “how dominant you look determines how successful of a leader you are”. I guess my question is, with regards to leadership and the whole ther-is-only-one-gender idea of Elizabethan England, would you have seen the “leadership dominance” play a role in how successful people thought a lead was or was it just general attractiveness/non-hunchback-ness?