Julia Leonardi // 10.12.2020

I had heard of people comparing the Spanish Flu to COVID-19, but I never really cared to look into it. It is not like the Spanish Flu was ever part of any curriculum I had in school or anything I ever learned about, so I was shocked to find how similar the two actually where. What was most interesting to me was the similarities between the government administration.

Trump, or anyone in his administration, could’ve easily just read the history books and known what NOT to do. Often, history serves as a guide, on what to do and on what not to do. This pandemic was an open note quiz, yet we are still failing. Trevor Noah brought up a great point when he jokingly said, “masks are still the only thing we have come up with.” It got me thinking about the fact that humans are so destructible. We have advanced so much socially and technologically, yet a virus can still just come in and turn the world upside down.

1. Henry Groves Henry Groves

I was also surprised to see the similarities to the Spanish Flu and COVID 19. Both the outcome and response are very similar and it took reading about it in context to compare the two. When the part about masks and social guidelines came up, that is when it really clicked about the similarities in responses.

2. Alexander Dimedio Alexander Dimedio

I find it very disappointing that the current administration refuses to do what is necessary to get rid of this pandemic. We all see the mistakes Wilson made in handling the Spanish Flu, so why is the current administration not studying this and changing their mindset. I really like your analogy about this pandemic being an open note quiz.

3. Mohamad Kassem Mohamad Kassem

Spanish Flu pandemic is surprisingly not taught in schools as a part of the curriculum despite its enormous impacts. I also found it very interesting that although history has repeated itself and we could have avoided this whole mess, the US president still failed in following simple measures to get rid of this pandemic.