The Emancipation Proclamation: Hidden Reasoning Behind the Document

One of the readings makes an intriguing point about the different pathways that could have occurred to end the institution of slavery. The author writes how, “It would take either a full-scale slave rebellion or a full-scale war to end such a deeply entrenched system.” I was aware that Lincoln’s emancipation declaration was mainly political move, but I didn’t realize the full extent of his decision. The reading talked about the practicality of freeing the slaves as it mentioned the growing number of slaves, a cause for concern due to past revolts, and the potential for the Union to have the black population on their side. The reasoning behind freeing the enslaved population was a political move that gave both Lincoln and the Union moral high ground in addition to changing the reason for the war from state rights to human rights.

The black population was not freed because white men finally found their moral compass, but rather because the situation forced them to this decision. The reading reflects how the United states, “…would end slavery only under conditions controlled by whites, and only when required by the political and economic needs of the business elite of the North. It was Abraham Lincoln who combined perfectly the needs of business, the political ambition of the new Republican party, and the rhetoric of humanitarianism.” The previously mentioned elite white men changed the narrative for the emancipating the slave population to help paint themselves and the Union in a better way. These rich white men tactically supported the abolishment of slavery in order to not lose their business that depended partially on the Southern states. This reading really was eye-opening to me because I was not aware of the political reasoning and implications of the Emancipation Proclamation, and why Lincoln may have not been the social warrior that we remember him as today.

1. Richard Connell Richard Connell

I thought it was a interesting in the article how it said that slavery would only end when whites agreed that they didn’t need the power over another amount of people. Was it that they wanted the power or that they actually believed African Americans were insurmountable people. I find it interesting that a white male on the congress at the time had provoked for no more slavery meanwhile he held many slaves.

2. Eyga Williamson Eyga Williamson

It genuinely excites me that the exposure of black enslavement in contemporary times is occurring more frequently. Many are oblivious to the fact that there was a political motif behind the emancipation proclamation, and that it actually had little to do with people considering blacks humans. With the realization of this hopefully the country moves closer to genuine liberation of black peoples.

3. Lauren Stenson Lauren Stenson

I like that you point out how they also changed the narrative. It also shocked me when I learned that Lincoln did not truly believe in the Emancipation Proclamation and the lack of education on that fact is disheartening. It goes to show just how separated we are.

4. Hannah Levine Hannah Levine

I was also surprised by the underground reasoning for the emancipation proclamation. Instead of serving as an amazing message for the country, it was really only intended to help the Union politically. It is crazy that Lincoln’s memory has been memorialized in the way that it has considering the facts.