Richard III

I think that what we have been discussing recently in class involving tyrannicide and toxic charismatic leadership correlates well with Richard III. In the film, we can see how an individual can go to extremes to arrive at power. In this case, Richard goes to the extent of many murders in order to gain the power he desires. Throughout the movie, we see a display of toxic charisma by Richard as he manipulates those around him in order to justify the killings of his own family members, members of Queen Elizabeth’s family, and Queen Margaret’s family. With these unethical actions, I can conclude that Richard could be considered a tyrant due to the fact that he is doing all of this for his own personal gain.

Something that was really interesting to me were the parallels drawn in Dr. Bezio’s “Crooked Politics” between Richard and President Trump. In each scene, Dr.Bezio is able to connect a part of the film with an involvement with Trump. For example, a community of women band together to try to prevent Richard from reaching the thrown. Similarly, women began to come forward and blame Trump of sexual assault. Furthermore, it is also astonishing how the events in the movie line up with the events in Trump’s path to presidency chronologically. Overall, the connections between “Crooked Politics” and Richard III were very fascinating and they furthered my understanding of what a tyrant can be considered.

1. Richard Bell Richard Bell

You make an interesting connection of two different topics in class of tyranny and toxic charisma. I agree with some of the parallels to Trump and Richard III, however it is important to realize that Trump was obviously not to the same extreme.

2. Kendall Duffy Kendall Duffy

I also agree in the connections between Trump and Richard III. They have some similarities but in the end they are different because Trump does not go to the extreme Richard III does.

3. Leah Kulma Leah Kulma

I also agree that it is super interesting to see the similarities between Trump and Richard III. Even more so, when you consider that Trump isn’t actually a tyrant at all when it comes to the technical definition. He shares so many characteristics of a tyrant… but by definition people just can’t say he fully is one.

4. Ethan Ng Ethan Ng

I also found the part about women interesting because it displays some toxic uses of power which point to the tyrannical tendencies that both Trump and Richard displayed. This use authority is one that seems to come out in positions of power.

5. Lucas Unger Lucas Unger

I also like the idea of crooked politics and how they relate to both Richard III and Trump. They both have a certain aspect of toxic charisma that allowed them to rise to power and further manipulate their people while in power.