MLK

What I found interesting in the Carson article was that how closely we tie leaders with having charisma and how useful it is to have that characteristic if you are a leader and with MLK some people have made the argument that he wasn’t a charismatic leader and he avoided using charisma in his oratory. This is unusual because of how much MLK is perceived as a leader and how most leaders have charisma.

To me MLK was one of the most important people in recent U.S history because of his influence in the African American community and how he has made an impact on today’s society. In his speeches some say that he didn’t have charisma and that he steered away from charisma which brings up the question of which qualities and characteristics did he have that he attracted so many followers?

One Comment

1. Samuel Senders Samuel Senders

I really liked how you touched upon how King might not have been a charismatic leader. In addition, to your point the article also touches upon the great man theory and how the legend of MLK over shadows the time period/factors that allowed him to express his leadership styles. Finally, I also like how you ended the post with what allowed him to attract so many followers and to answer that question it was his ability to use eloquent words in his speeches to express himself and paint a picture in the minds of the A.A. community as to what the future could look like. That is just one of the aspects.