This important letter from Gideon Blackburn, the Presbyterian minister of Maryville, to Philadelphia bookseller William W. Woodward, marks the first appearance of religious convulsions in east Tennessee. In time, nearly all revival observers would credit events in Blackburn’s parish during the summer of 1803 with inaugurating the bodily exercise known as “the jerks.” Unlikely many of his colleagues, Blackburn responded positively to the “bodily agitation” that gripped his parishioners; and he maintained this perspective several months later in a letter to Ashbel Green (click here). Conjectural readings, textual defects, and contextual notes appear in square brackets.

August 3d, 1803 Dear Sir,

Thro the indulgent goodness of God I safely arrived at home the 23d ultimo, and found my family in usual health. My own health was continued with one or two small exceptions. May Kind providence have blessed you and your dear family with uninterrupted health & pleasure.

I hasten thus soon to write you because I hope the communication will not only delight yours but likewise the hearts of all the lovers of Jesus; especially those with whom I had the pleasure of an accquaintance in your city.

For some time before I left home there had been considerable attintion to religion in parts of my charge but no considerable bodily agitation. On the day I left home at a society for prayer one of my young people became deeply impressed. His conscience smote him, his knees trembled, and he fell into considerable bodily agitation. After this every different meeting was attended by divine power. The Meetings became more frequent, and crouded. A spirit of prayer was excited and while zion travelled the seed which had been long sowed began to spring up & bear fruit abundantly. Several during that week were deeply affected in mind which had remarkable affect on the body. The bodily exercises were uniformly attended with serious convictions. The work in a short time began to spread through my whole congregation & extended to some others and except an occasional sermon they enjoyed none of the public means of grace. About two weeks before I got home the sacrament of the supper was administered in a neighbouring church which is in a state of vacancy. Crouds attended from all quarters, solemnity prevailed, and many fell under the power of god. The People coud not be prevailed on to leave the place of worship day or night but continued religious exercises without intermission untill late Monday evening. Many were wounded by the arrows of omnipotince which have since been heated by his grace and some received comfort and joy in resting on the merrits of christ. A number of my people attended & the work increased considerably amongst them. In this state I found them on my arrival. Nothing could have given more satisfaction than the encreased ardour and spirit of prayer and the excited attention to the means of grace I discovoured amongst them. On the first Sabbath, the day after my arrival, soon after I began to speak the [cries] agonies and distress of the convicted drew my attention. Their bodies had all the appearance of convulsions. Their cries for mercy were most lamentable, and earnest. The whole assembly seemed interested in the concerns of eternity. Some very wild and thoughtless persons were this day brought to be the subjects of the work. I had a great deal of conversation with persons in exercise and had sufficient evidence that it was a work of god. Oh how humble, how prayerfull, how sweetly did the[y] commit themselves to Jesus. And how anxiously did the[y] desire and pray for the salvation of a sinfull race. My house has been daily crouded with persons in the exercises or those who complained of a hard heart.

On Sabbath last I attended a sacrament in a church about ten miles from home. The News of the extraordinary work had excited the curiosity of many, and a large concouse of people attended. There were about 3000 souls, upwards of 100 Waggons & carriages. They occupied a large encampment and pitched their tents in a quadrangular [form]. As the people collected on Friday the exercises of praying and singing began and continued without intermission day and night except when interupted by the cryes of the distressed, or bursts of Joy of those who had found rest fer their souls or the publick preaching of the word. No serious spectator but would have said “this is the gate of heaven.”

Upwards of half of the assembly were under religious concern. Above one third in bodily exercise and a number of the most stout and wicked persons in this part of the state were brought to the ground and made to cry for mercy and earnestly requist the prayers of christians on their behalf. A large number who had been before [in] distress & some struck during the occasion rec[eived] comfort from the plan of salvation and oh [illeg.] the most impressive joy shone in their countenances. Their sweet satisfaction no pen can describe. They seem[ed] wrapt up in the glory of God. Many children from 7 to 12 were engaged and it was no rare thing to see 10 or 12 of them by themselves in social prayer and all in deep exercises. About 700 persons partook of the Lords Supper and more would have done it but they were so struck with the hardness of their hearts that the[y] dared not to approach. In all this large assembly I do not believe there were 10 persons who conversed 5 Minutes on any other topick but religion.

I have detained you with history till I have filled my paper. A number of perticulars I will detail you in a series of letters if I can get leisure to write, and you will be so obliging as to give the details to my friends when you meet in society or as you choose.

Brother pray for us. We will for you. Write all you think will rejoice us, and glorify god. Pass my respects to any Dear friends Clergy & laity and accept for yourself and family my warmest love.

I am yours &c.

Gideon Blackburn

[Addressed:] William W. Woodard Bookseller No. 52 Corner of 2d & Chestnut Streets Philadelphia[Endorsement by Woodward:] Revd. Gideon Blackburn 3d August 1803 [Written below endorsement in a later hand:] This letter gives an account of the extraordinary revivals of 1803, & of the bodily Contortions of those who were exercised about religious matters. It would seem from this letter of Rev. Dr. Scouller’s that Dr. B. was the first President of Centre College Danville Kentucky, a distinguished Presbyterian Preacher.

Source

Gideon Blackburn to William W. Woodward, August 3, 1803, Society Collection, Historical Society of Pennsylvania, Philadelphia.

Images courtesy of the Historical Society of Pennsylvania, Philadelphia.