This letter to Philadelphia bookseller William W. Woodward from Presbyterian minister Robert Wilson provides the earliest evidence of convulsive bodily exercises appearing in the South Carolina upcountry. Conjectural readings and contextual notes appear in square brackets.

Abbeville October 24th 1803

Dear Friend,

This day I received your very obliging letter of the 27th ultimo by the preceding Mail. I received your letter of the 24th, & have been prevented answering until this time by attending a Sacramental meeting in a neighboring Society. We have no meetings of this kind where the great power of God is not manifested in a greater or less degree, in the exercises of some of the people. Two days ago I beheld for the first time an aged Minister of the Gospel a subject of the very singular bodily exercise common among us. Your unworthy Friend was the preacher. Toward the close of the discourse I heard him breathing very hard. While the hymn was sung he was silent. When the congregation was dismissed he took hold of my hand which he held a considerable time but was unable to speak. He wept sore for a long time, & was frequently wrought for a short space as men are in a convulsion fit. He did not speak at that time.

Falling down is quite common among us. It excites no public opposition but among the Seceders & the openly profane. Only some of those who fall appear to obtain saving grace. But we ought to remember the power was of God when the guard who came to take Xt [Christ] fell to the ground when Felix trembled & tho’ it was not saving. In this favored land we not only hear the Gospel but we see men writhing under an accusing conscience & hear them roaring out the torments of the damned. On the other hand we see them in the possession of the peace which passeth knowledge, we see them filled with ineffable joy struggling to express itself in every possible way. And now we know by experience the truth of what Christ says, “If they hear not Moses & the Prophets neither would they hear tho one rose from the dead.” It distresses me to hear that you are again visited with the fever. I hope the Lord will give you grace to improve it & bring to the recollection of all Christs words Luke 13:2. Suppose ye & [ms. creased; next line illeg.] & shew us the vanity of this world. My Family has been under affliction ever since July. Thro’ mercy our lives have been spared. I have been under a greater Ague nearly two months.

Inclosed you will find the halves of three, hundred, dollar bills. I should had another hundred Dollars but bills are not to be had. Some of the books you sent I have not yet been able to dispose of particularly the Song of Songs not one of which is sold. More than one half of Barnets inquiries notwithstanding the excellence of the work are yet on hand. However I hope to dispose of them when Markets are made. Mr. Cummins offered me 30 Dollars in silver for you the other day which I could not receive until changed for a bill as I had been myself waiting so long for an opportunity of getting sutable Bills. The Season is now advancing when I hope it will not be so difficult to procure them.

Should the bibles be ready before you receive another letter from me please pack in the Box Newtons (rector of St. Marys) works & Fullers works.

Yours respectfully

Robert Wilson

[Addressed:] Mr. William W. Woodward
Philadelphia
Abbeville S.C. 8th November 25

Mail

[Endorsed:] Reverend R. Wilson
AbbevilleReverend Robert Wilson
Abbeville S.C.
24 October 1803

Source

Robert Wilson to William W. Woodward, October 24, 1803, box 301, Simon Gratz Collection, 1734–1919, Collection 0250B, Historical Society of Pennsylvania, Philadelphia.