Although Annie Baxter does not mention the jerks in this letter to her mother, a recent outbreak of the convulsions at Washington Academy (now Washington and Lee University), where her husband served as rector, surely were not far from her mind. Baxter expressed a growing sense of frustration with these showy “bodyly affections,” which she was careful to distinguish from authentic “religeon.” Conjectural readings, textual defects, and contextual notes appear in square brackets.

December 29

Dear Mammy

I receivd your letter by post and was very sorry to heare of Sister Polly’s death. It must be severely felt by her little famyly. We had a letter from Mr. Ramsy a few weeks ago and Mr. John Moor one a few days since when he was as well as common. Pollys child died the night it was a month old. I expect was smotherd with her breast as it was quite well when we went to bed and was dead when she waken’d. She was very much distress but is now got to her business as common. We expected John down every day till we got your letter. Their is about 35 boys here now. We did not expect as many this winter. You must not beleive all you here of the bodyly affections &c amongst us. Their is so much more than the truth said that I have determined to belive nothing I do not see. It is a thing that even the subjects do not understand. With some it apears to be brought on by se[rio]us impressions or to produce them. With some it has as yet had no effect. Those who first took it have generaly got over it. I would rather see a greater disposition to talk of religeon and less of the exercises than appears amongst us at preasent. I am afraid the weather will be to cold for you to come down soon but do write by every oppertunity. I had a great deal to say but my eyes are sore and it is dark. George is very anxious to see you but his papa could not spare him at all.

I am Dear Mammy your affectionate

A. Baxter

[Addressed:] Mrs. Anne Fleming
Bellmount
Bottetourt County

Source

Annie Baxter to Anne (Nancy) Fleming, December 29, 1804, box 2, William Fleming Correspondence, Collection 009, Special Collections, James G. Leyburn Library, Washington and Lee University, Lexington, Va.