Thomas Hunt’s “Autobiographical Sketches” (1850) manuscript is unusually terse by Shaker standards. The pioneering New Light revivaler nonetheless provides a useful account of elevated state of religion in southern Ohio at the time the Shaker missionaries arrived during the winter of 1804–1805. Like many Shaker converts, Hunt understood the Great Revival as a preparatory event—a “breaker,” as he noted in his autobiography—that prepared settlers to embrace the “everlasting gospel of salvation” in the form of Shakerism.

Part Second
Being a concise Statement of my life, from 1805, until the present time 1850

The great stir of religion; called the Kentucky revival, commenced in the country, in 1801, and was attended with great power of God. Designed no doubt as a breaker, to go before and prepare the way, for the entrance of the everlasting gospel. This work continued until the year 1805, with various manifestations and opperations of outward power, such as the jerks, barks, singing, dancing, shouting, and the like.

Many signs and solemn warnings were given. I will mention one, of which I was an eye witness. It was a shower of blood, that fell in August 1804. This occurred at a place, where two families lived in one door yard by the names of Roby and Simpson. It seemed remarkable, and very strange indeed, that there should be a shower of blood, without any clouds, it being entirely clear all the afternoon. The blood fell in the door yard, on the door cheeks, on the walls of the houses, and on the under side of benches, chairs and tables. And what was still more remarkable, the blood was found on the walls, where clothing was hanging, and the clothes, not in the least stained by it.

This strange phenomenon, was the cause of much speculation and excitement; and many came to view the wonderful sight; but none could account for it. And therefore, many felt greatly alarmed. For my own part, I considered it the work of some supernatural agency, and was designed to effect some end, the cause of which, was not then known to mortals.

The evidences of the work of God, among those called New-lights, were such, that I became convinced, and joined their church, sometime in the fall of 1804. I therefore enjoyed many comfortable and refreshing seasons. By this means my sous was prepared to receive the testimony of the everlasting gospel of salvation, which opened in this country in 1805. I heard and believed and set out in it, on the 16th day of May, with a settled and fixed determination, to make a full sacrifice of the world, the flesh and all evil. And live a life of self denial, after the examine of our blessed Lord. So on the 25th of March 1806, I pulled up stakes, and moved to what is now called Union Village, and settled on land owned by the Believers.

Source

Thomas Hunt, “Autobiographical Sketches of Thomas Hunt,” 1850, 23–[24], no. 185, microfilm, reel 12, Shaker Collection of Records Concerning the United Society of Believers in Christ’s Second Appearing, 1676–1937, MSS39552, Library of Congress, Washington, D.C.