In this brief excerpt from the “Life of Rev. John Rankin” (1872), the prominent Presbyterian minister and abolitionist recalled his childhood experiences in east Tennessee during the Great Revival.

My Spiritual State

From my earliest recollection, I had serious thoughts on the subject of religion. When I was about seven years old, or perhaps some older, a wonderful religious excitement prevaded various societies of the country. Immense camp meetings were held to which people came from great distances and stayed in tents during a number of days, of preaching, praying and exhorting and singing. A wonderful nervous affection pervaded the meetings. Some would tremble as if terribly frightened, some would have violent twitching and jerking; others would fall down suddenly as if breathless and lie during hours. Some would laugh with a loud ha! ha! others would form a ring and dance around awhile, then fall back on those who stood around to take care of them. There were some who would bark like dogs. The different kinds were thus designated. The trembling exercise, the jerking exercise, the falling exercise, the dancing exercise, the laughing and barking exercise. I saw some ladies at a prayer meeting, dance in a ring formed by persons standing in a circle. I never, heard any barks like dogs, yet I believe it was done at some meetings. The largest and most noted meeting was held at Cane Ridge, Kentucky and at it the exercises and excitement were immense and unbounded by reason. Great disillusion followed.

Source

John Rankin, “Life of Rev. John Rankin Written by Himself in His Eightieth Year,” ca. 1872, 7–8, John Rankin Family Papers, MSS 1425, Ohio Historical Center, Columbus.