Assigned to the Cumberland Circuit in the Virginia piedmont, Methodist minister John Early recorded several encounters with jerkers during the fall of 1807. Early’s diary entries feature a valuable description of a young Baptist woman who violently opposed his ministry but converted to Methodism after experiencing the jerking exercise. Conjectural readings and textual defects appear in square brackets.

Wednesday [November] 18th [1807]. To Patersons & Back 6 miles. There I Saw a young Woman (P. D. By name) Who had had the Jirks 2 years & was Very Wicked (her parents were Baptists). I told her I Believ’d the Jirks would never Leave her until she prayed in Earnest to GOD. She Said it would be time enough for her Several years hence & said the Jirks came from the Devil & wou’d go Back to him again. I told her to pray or [I] Did not know But the Jirks wou’d Kill her & she’d go to hell & she said she wished I might to go Hell above all people & she told me afterwards for She got converted. In meeting she Looked Very serious & Cry’d & Believ’d she had home shot as a nail in a Sure place. Yet she persecuted me.

Next Day I preach’d Old father Brothers’s funeral 7 miles & the Lord came Down In awful Power. Some shouted some Cry’d & the place Look’d awful On account of the presence of my King. Glory to GOD in the highest. After I preach’d we went to the grave. I gave a exortation in the rain & had a serious time Indeed. I felt my lungs shattered & My Body Very weak But I felt like fighting for my Jesus Forever. The people invited me to come again. The above young Woman Was there & Cry’d Powerfully & told some Body she was sorry for What She had Said about me the Day Before for She now liked me Very well. (She had no more rest in sin.) I went that evening through the rain 6 miles & had meeting at J. Taylors & the Lord was with us. After meeting I asked a young Woman (who staid all night there) to give me a strand of Beads she had around her neck. She to try me what I wou’d Do with them throw’d to me. I Opened the fire & put them in to let [her] know I wanted to Burn old Sam up [i.e. the devil]. She hardly understood me, though she Profesed religion & I hope had religion.

Friday 20. We had meeting there again & a moving time & some shouted Some Cry’d.

Saturday 21. To Mount Comfort to a two Days meeting & Brother W. Pinnell with me 9 miles & met Brother J. Pinnell the Elder. He preached & the Lord come Down & all had a glorious time. The above young Woman Was again [at] meeting at W. Christians at night & God was with us in a Wonderful Awful manner.

Sunday (22). Morning we had the Lord Supper Administered By the Elder & the God of Israel Gave Sanction to it By coming Down among us. Some Spoke the Language of Canaan Indeed [Is. 19:18]. At 12 O’Clock the Elder preach’d, & the Lord Continued his Blessings & Several mourners came forward & Kneeled Down for us to pray for us & meeting lasted until late in the evening. At night we had meeting at M. Thompsons. I tried to preach’d But Before I was Done Jesus preach’d to[o] in a Wonderful manner to the hearts of the Dear people so that I had to stop. Christians shouted & Jump’d and Jirk’d & roll’d & for 3 or 4 hours my eyes or Ears hardly ever saw or heard such a time among Christians & the Lord Of all mercies came to the Deliverance Of the above young Woman who only the Wednesday Before wish’d I might go to hell. She had the most Powerful manafestation I ever saw. She leaped from the floor & Jump’d & Shouted & Jirk’d all night & untill I left her next Day 10 O’Clock. I hardly think Besides many Others I ever saw the like Before. She praised GOD that She ever saw the Methodist preacher & asked In public my Pardon for What she had said to & about me. She said she had heard it said that he that Believeth & Was Baptised was sure of heaven. But if she never again saw Water she had the substance & not the shadow & wou’d be saved. She said She Saw a rich fulness in Christ for all mankind Which caused me to tell the people I never Saw a Predestinarian When they Were first converted to God….

Wednesday [December] 16. Tried to preach & had a Great time. Glory to King Jesus. At night preached again though unwell & the Lord came Down in Power. Converted a young woman who had been seeking a long time & such before & Jumping & smacking of hands I never saw shouting praising praying & Jirking. Glory to God. I heard the Language of [Canaan] & it was music to my happy soul. Hallalujah & 2 join’d [the] Society. Good times a coming & better….

Monday, [December] 21st. To J. Pattersons 4 miles. I tried to preach on James 2:5 Verse & the Lord Jehovah helped us & some Jirked & Others shouted Glory to King Jesus. O how sweet the Language of Canaan is to the Christian. Among others [present was] the young woman mention’d 4 weeks ago (that go[t] converted). She had Baptist relations & her father and mother was Baptist. She wanted to Be a Methodist & her relations wou’d not agree to it & she told me if her sorrow was as great for 4 weeks to come she did [not] know how she shou’d bear it. I commended her to Jesus & told her to Join the Methodists through every opposition if she thought it was the will of GOD. She said she had often wished she cou’d be reconciled to Be a Baptist so that her friends might be Satisfied but she cou’d not be reconciled to Be a Baptist so that her friends might be Satisfied but she cou’d not be reconciled to Be a Baptist. I thought it was Just like some of the Baptist Doings with their Children. I thought the Consequence wou’d be serious in this circumstance either one way or the Other. That is she wou’d either leave them & Join or else she wou’d loose religion. Or GOD wou’d send some Judgment upon them for the abominable crime. O ungrateful parents. Lord pity the Baptists Indeed. At night a precious meeting again.

Source

John Early, Diary, 1807, John Early Papers, 1800–1856, Flavia Reed Owen Special Collections and Archives, McGraw-Page Library, Randolph-Macon College, Ashland, Va.