Methodist circuit rider Isaac Conger encountered the jerking exercise for the first time during the spring of 1813 in middle Tennessee. Witnessing “Convulsion fits” during one of his sermon performances was unsettling, as he briefly explained in his diary. Conjectural readings and contextual notes appear in square brackets. Click here for a complete transcription of this text.

[June 15, 1813] Went on to [Mathews] & preacht to the dirtiest Society I ever seen & a dull prospect for the people are too Nasty to have Religion. Brother G. Seaton & Cousin [Biles’s] com to meeting. I went home with them & meeting was appointed there for me at knight. I took my Text & began to preach & got about half through my Sermon when a man took a fit fell on the floor. The women were Scard very bad. He was a Presbeterian & he lay a long time. Prayer was made. Singing & prayer Concluded our meeting. Preacht no more. I seen a woman have a fit in the morning & the man at knight the first that I ever saw have Convulsion fits. To see the Goodness & the mercy of God in preserving his people how thankful ought I to be. I lay down near 1 oclock & Slept & in the morning. Feel worn out so much I am hardly able to Ride and have to ride about 21 mile….

[September 10, 1813] In the morning I got ready & went on to Rilys Creek & there was a woman that once I had to threaten to make her behave herself & last time I was here she appeard to be Convicted & she got a fall off of a Horse & last Tuesday she took fits & it was allowd she had a 1000 in 24 hours & very hard. I preacht & there was a good appearance several times & the young woman would take a fit. Her name was Jenkins. After meeting I went on without eating & got to old father Burrows. Got there after the sunset but I was weary. Eat & set untill 10 oclock & went to bed & when I waked I was infested with hungry Nightwalkers that thirst for human Blood & could not sleep well.

Source

Isaac Conger, Diary, June 13, September 10, 1813, Tennessee State Library and Archives, Nashville.