Theories in Action

Servant Leadership within MHAMC

Throughout my time at Mental Health Association of Monmouth County (MHAMC), I have witnessed the utilization of servant leadership by my supervisor to further enhance the reach and effectiveness of the organization. As social workers, my colleagues work every day to serve disempowered and at-risk communities. And in order to best do this, my colleagues and supervisor must consider ethics, empathy, and collaboration, because at the end of the day, our organization’s success is measured by the success and growth of the populations which we serve. With this being said, my supervisor Jessica, and our other team members work to promote a comfortability surrounding communication amongst members of MHAMC, organizations which we are partnered with, and our clients. Last week, one of my colleagues was having issues with a professional from one of the courts we are partnered with. She described how this individual was removing a lot of responsibility from himself and expressing apathy when it came to the families and children he is supposed to be working with. As this man was exemplifying poor servant leadership, my supervisor had to step in and work to erect the situation by reassuring our team member of her good work and acknowledging her frustration. Jessica stated that if things do not begin to change, she would absolutely step in and get in touch with this man’s higher-ups in order to protect the good work of our team member and ensure that her work was not being compromised. Not only was Jessica concerned with upholding the reputation of our team member, but also protecting her clients and their families.

To continue, something that has left a mark on me throughout my time with MHAMC is Jessica’s genuine concern and care for her team members. She always makes sure to check in on us individually and maintain open conversation with us.  She shows interest in our personal lives and always makes sure that we feel comfortable expressing any concerns or issues with her. She encourages us to take any time we may need off for ourselves and is extremely understanding. This attitude not only catalyzes a very cohesive and caring work environment, but aids in furthering our empathetic dispositions to the clients we work with. How can we expect to give so much care to our clients when no care is being shown to us? Jessica has been absolutely amazing with not only serving our populations and communities but also her team members. She knows that kindness and care is contagious and she has done a phenomenal job of instilling that value within all of us.