Witnessing PR Hustle Turn into Sales and Improving Fashion Standards through BLM Education

This was an exciting week for Go Dash Dot, as we were featured on The View during Oprah’s “Your Daily Deal” segment around 11:45 a.m. EST and by 2:15 p.m. we had already received 230 orders from the segment. The segment and sales did so well for Friday’s products that they extended the sale until Tuesday, when it was originally a 24 hour sale. The placement was thanks for an old public relations connection that Hannah, our founder, had made when she first started GDD. It was exciting and rewarding to see our products broadcasted for a viewership of approximately 3 million, and our team was thrilled to receive such a large placement in the midst of the pandemic.

On Monday we had a final desk-side meeting, where we met our current PR representative Jeremy and he explained all that he’s done for Go Dash Dot, and how he go to a professional place to start his own PR firm. Speaking with him and having the opportunity to ask questions was something I had been looking forward to for some time, and I was grateful to hear his story of working in journalism before entering the PR industry, especially as I consider my own career options as a journalism and leadership major.

My weekly tasks were also different and refreshing for this week, as it was my second to last week as an intern. I worked to finalize a blog post where we hosted a longtime brand partner, influencer and activist on our channel, and I interviewed her about her experience being a black woman in the fashion and fitness industry, along with receiving her insight on accessing particular brand partnerships, and what initiatives and values she personally looks for in a brand when offered a partnership. Interviewing her was not only insightful for me as an intern, but also I gained valuable lessons and resources as an individual working to educate and grow my inner understandings. This experience made me proud to be working for a brand that truly cares about growing as a company, and not just posting about ally-ship when it first started trending. I have another post organized for the first Sunday of August, and it will be the second in the series about the BLM movement in fashion, which we are hoping to make a staple on our company blog.

As I go into my last week of my internship, I’m grateful for the editorial skills that I’ve learned this summer, among other marketing resources and skills that I have gained. My initial creation of my company editorial calendar has allowed us to track success on certain social media posts, and it has kept our blog schedule in a regular weekly order. The desk-side meetings have allowed me to see different facets of the company, other than the marketing team, and it has given me useful insight for my career. I’m thankful for Hannah and Amanda’s flexibility throughout this program, especially when they decided to adjust it to a remote internship, but have kept the experience just as informative and connected as if we were in NYC.