Theories in Action

Relationship-Oriented Leadership at MHAMC

Throughout the past month or so with MHAMC, I have observed a relationship-oriented leader in action. My supervisor, Jessica is extremely in touch with her co-workers, interns, and volunteers. Not only does she make time for a weekly team meeting, but e-mails us all separately every week to check in on us, see what we have been up to, and provide us with more ways in which to get involved or further our learning based on our topics of interest. Jessica knows about my interest in juvenile justice and mental health. In turn, she got me involved in a Children’s Mental Health Awareness event called Fridays at the Farm, where my love for children, animals, the outdoors, and social justice would all meet together. Jessica is always asking how we are doing and is extremely understanding of our personal lives and endeavors. This is very reflective of the line of work Jessica and the rest of us are in. As it is Jessica’s role to help the community and invest interest and care into its children and families, it is fitting that she would show the same concern for her co-workers and teammates. This type of leadership employed by Jessica fosters a team bond as well as encourages us to be more compassionate and empathetic toward one another and others. She always asks us for feedback and our input on things. And though Jessica is technically our boss, she never makes it feel like that. She does not carry an air of superiority and makes us feel like our opinions and sentiments carry just as much importance as hers. This translates into the confidence exerted by employees and interns in their own cases and on their own time. She truly fosters an environment in which all of our voices can be heard and appreciated. As an intern, I have been given the unique opportunity to be a part of the team, despite not having the education or credentials as the rest of them do. But knowing that Jessica is still interested in my values and my input makes me feel very comfortable in sharing my ideas both within our group and within my own life and platforms.