Leader-Follower Relations in MHAMC: Supervisor, Social Workers, Interns, and the Community

Mental Health Association of Monmouth County (MHAMC) is my local branch of the greater Mental Health America (MHA). MHA works with communities all over the United States to provide services for at-risk populations, within the justice system, the realm of mental health, teen safety, etc. We have locations in Red Bank and Tinton Falls, New Jersey, however, in-person services have come to a halt due to COVID-19. And despite the organization’s efforts to ease back into in-person work, the majority of my internship will remain remote. 

Every week, my supervisor, Jessica sends the other interns and myself certain trainings regarding the handling of and reactions to prominent and current issues in our society; such as grief counseling pertaining to COVID-19 or education relevant to the racial injustice imposed upon many Americans of color. I correspond with Jessica a few times a week to give her the updates on what I have learned throughout the week, as well as my availability for future events (whether remote, or potentially in-person). Every Thursday, I have a team meeting, led by Jessica, to discuss the weekly case-loads of my co-workers. For two hours or so, I listen to MSWs or LCSWs discuss the updates in their cases, such as their successes, pitfalls, and concerns regarding their client and/or their client’s family. There are different branches within Jessica’s team. Some of my co-workers focus on individual cases, while others work on programs for schools, run marajuana diversion programs to assist youth in getting their charges dropped, develop pregnancy prevention programs for teens, etc. It is very interesting to gain perspective into the diversity within my team. Despite many of them holding the same or similar degree, they are all involved in separate facets of the community, which makes for enlightening discussion with an air of cohesion. 

Something that I find extremely interesting is Jessica’s involvement in the city hall for Monmouth county. Every month, Jessica attends a youth-led city hall, in which youth choose to discuss what they believe is important. And despite becoming remote, almost 200 people attended the virtual city hall last month regarding COVID-19. Jessica divides the youth into break-out groups, where one of my co-workers aims to facilitate and encourage group discussion. At the end of every city hall, the kids get to vote on the topic for next month. Last month, they voted to speak about racial injustice during this month’s meeting. I find it extremely unique that Jessica works on giving these kids a voice and a platform where they can communicate their ideas and thoughts in a safe space. I believe that this is one of the best ways to improve leader-follower relationships between the organization and the community, as it takes away the air of superiority around our organization and gives the kids the chance to lead. This could encourage further involvement in their respective communities, as well as fuel a productive and proactive passion within them.