Know the Situation

In the legal world, it is extremely important for an attorney to know the situation they are in and act accordingly. This shift in action depending on the situation is exemplified by the leadership style implemented by the attorney. The first situation would be that between myself and Roger at the office. Roger does not pay me, and he knows that I am there purely to learn and gain experience. Using a transactional style of leadership and barking orders at me would not be an effective way to motivate me in the office and would not help me to learn. Roger therefore takes a more transformational approach when dealing with me. Every task he asks me to complete he guides me through, and at the completion of the tasks he explains why it was important in the first place. Roger also recognizes when to use a transactional or a or transformational approach when dealing with his clients. For one example, we have a client, who is a good parent, who is going through a divorce, with someone who is also a good parent. Working out the custody between the two can be a long and precarious undertaking. Approaching that situation with a more transformational approach and coaxing them along into making a deal would be the ideal approach. Roger cannot force them to do anything, so trying to would only make the situation worse. The other example, Roger is appointed as the GAL for the child, GAL being the state appointed attorney for the child in a case and has only the interest of the child in mind. In a case where he is appointed GAL and both of the parents are extremely irresponsible, but not irresponsible enough to lose custody, Roger uses a transactional form of leadership.  Roger can dictate to them that they WILL go to counseling or they WILL check in with him regularly, using the power of the court as a tool to force them to obey. The court absolutely does not care about their feelings, only the safety of the child. A transformational approach simply would not do the child any good.

One thought on “Know the Situation

• So, arguing for the need to consider situation/context in regards to what leadership style to employ. Have you witnessed any particular situations in which neither transaction or transformational seem appropriate; when perhaps a more adaptive style is needed? May want to think of other examples that illustrate these two, particularly if you think you’ll select one (or the other) for the theory you concentrate on for the academic paper this fall.