Required Texts (available in the Campus Bookstore):
- Larissa Juliet Taylor, The Virgin Warrior: The Life and Death of Joan of Arc
- Daniel Hobbins (transl.), The Trial of Joan of Arc
- Evelyne Lever, Marie-Antoinette: The Last Queen of France
- William Kelleher Storey, Writing History: A Guide for Students (fourth edition)
Beyond the required texts above and reserved media below, we also have readings posted on a course BlackBoard site. Please be sure to PRINT the readings and bring them to class. I discourage the use of laptops, e-readers or tablets in class. Better to NOT have the distraction in front of you. I also ask that you turn off your cell phones before class begins.
Media on Reserve at MRC
- The Passion of Joan of Arc (1928), directed by Theodore Dreyer (silent film)
- Saint Joan (1957), director Otto Preminger, staring Jean Seberg
- Joan of Arc (2000), director Luc Besson, staring Milla Javovich (in English)
- Marie-Antoinette (1938), director W.S. VanDyke II, staring Norma Sherer
- Marie Antoinette (2007), director Sophia Coppola, staring Kirsten Dunst
- Farewell, My Queen (2012), director Benoit Jacquot (in French)
email: firstname.lastname@example.org (please allow 24 hours for replies)
My office is in Ryland 218 (ground floor). I am happy to discuss any aspect of the course with you in office hours which are Mondays and Thursdays 1:30 to 3 pm, and by appointment.