Chapters 6 & 7

Before reading these chapters, I was unaware that getting an early start is a “dead-end myth.” As with many of the other findings reported in this book, this came as a sort of surprise since I feel as though we are always trained to believe that those who get a head start in their schooling are the children who will have better educational performance. I am currently taking a Clinical Neuroscience class as well, where we recently learned about the case of Greg Smith — a boy who went to college at the young age of 10. However, he was not a genius because his parents enrolled him in pre-k when he was 2, so I understand where the researchers are coming from.

It was interesting to read that the Terman children who had divorced parents were more likely to get divorced as well. I personally think this varies depending on who we are talking about as I think it is more of a result of how the child is raised and who they end up marrying, of course. I also found it interesting that, for boys, positive family feelings were harmful and that these boys actually ended up living shorter lives. Again, I think this varies case-by-case, but I do not really understand how this positive support could result in a negative outcome. I think it is always important to observe the differences that exist between genders when we are considering factors, such as family influence.

This entry was posted in Chapter 6, Chapter 7. Bookmark the permalink.

One Response to Chapters 6 & 7

1. Neelamberi Klein says:

Jasmine, I think the Greg Smith case is a great comparison for the “early start” section of the book, because it gives a great example about being head in school but not in development, which we are talking a bit about in my education class. In regards to the gender differences for children with divorced parents, I think it was trying to say that the loss of something good is more harmful to boys, whereas an overall unhappy family situation is more harmful to girls. This could be related to the tendency of many women to nurture and be empathetic, and therefore living with constant stress in an unhappy house, versus a boy who would be caused stress by the change the divorce caused?