Chapter 2-3

These two chapters focused on how conscientiousness is the best predictor of longevity, not sociability. There were 3 reasons behind this: conscientious people are less likely to engage in risky behaviors, are less prone to diseases, and set themselves up for success. All these reasons were extremely interesting because it showed that some of who you will be is already who you are. The chapter also discussed how people can change over time, so this is not necessarily the case.

I really enjoyed the section about sociability because when I was a child, I was very shy and extremely introverted. It was nice to see that that’s not necessarily a bad thing and helped me to see how I’ve changed overtime. I really enjoyed the interactive pieces of these chapters too to help me assess myself and how I can improve to achieve maximum longevity.

This entry was posted in Chapter 2, Chapter 3. Bookmark the permalink.

3 Responses to Chapter 2-3

1. Jasmine Fernandez says:

Natalie – I also enjoyed the section in these chapters about sociability. Before completing the reading, I thought that sociability was just as important as conscientiousness. Although I was not very shy as a child, I did grow up thinking that being shy or introverted was not good for a child’s health, which I suppose I believed because of how much we are constantly enforced to be social and have friends as children. It was interesting to read that this is not necessarily a bad thing and I think the authors’ findings would be even more compelling if they provided quantitative data as well.

2. Alexis Russell says:

I agreed with you! I thought it was surprising to find that sociability did not impact a long, healthy life. I was the opposite, maybe too extroverted! It was interesting to see that, regardless of how you interact with the world, your shyness actually may help you. I think that is a really good life lesson: sometimes sitting back and listening can help you more than interacting too much. That is something I should think about next time I feel like I should talk just to talk. I also agree that it was a nice twist to include the quizzes to see where you fall on the spectrum.

3. Neelamberi Klein says:

I agree that it was so interesting that sociability isn’t necessarily linked to a longer happier life as we’ve all been told. These chapters felt like they were all about balance. Balancing social relationships and balancing life in a conscientiousness way to avoid unneeded risks. I really appreciate how you noted how your change over time connected to the reading.