Hip hop and the academy

In my latest piece for the Huffington Post, I look at the role of colleges and universities in the formation and evolution of hip hop, especially rap music.  As it turns out, many influential performers have gone to college themselves, and the college/university scene has always been important in disseminating rap music, either through radio stations or by providing an alternative touring circuit.

As the mainstream industry increasingly discourages innovation in favor of money-making hits, colleges and universities could play an even more important role in rap’s future as well.

3 thoughts on “Hip hop and the academy”

1. I really think this post is awesome. It’s always good to see someone spreading positive movements for the sake of hiphop. I try to do this best I can so I can always respect when someone else does.

2. Institutions of Higher Learning will always play a major role in Hip Hop because of its Origins in “Teaching” . The “Hip” in “Hip Hop” is about being up to date, informed and in tune. Great artists or lyricists that don’t speak or credit their educational background often is likely due to Public Image Branding. Super Dope Article!

3. I wish the article would be a bit longer and would go into more deeply of the artists that used to go to colleges and universities. Myself, as a producer, I take studying as serious as I can since it’s not easy what I do! Never thought that I will find a true hip-hop blog! Thank You for the post!