Week 11

I really enjoyed the jigsaw piece of the activity we did in class last night. I immediately started thinking about how to work that into the biography lesson plan on Maggie Walker that I’ve started. Which then made me realize that it’s not easy to adapt this activity, and most of the others we’ve done in class, to the lower elementary grades. All of the examples we’ve been given have been geared toward a fourth or fifth grade classroom. Working on the biography lesson plan has really made me realize that I have no idea how to scale materials back for a younger audience. I have had the basic idea for my Maggie Walker lesson plan in place for over a week, but I’ve been stuck because there is no content written for primary students yet. I need to pull and scale back the information myself and I have no idea how much or how little is appropriate to include in a lesson on her for first graders. The SOL just says students must know her contributions, but it doesn’t define what those contributions are. I really enjoy the activities we’ve done in class to date, but I would appreciate one or two geared toward first or second grade.

One thought on “Week 11”

1. Marlea,

I fear I have read your reflection too late to offer you the support you requested to scaffold your Maggie Walker lesson plan to a younger grade. I look forward to seeing what you decided to do. Always feel free to send an email as soon as you have questions. I am happy to help as I know Dr. Stohr is as well. I am glad you enjoyed the opportunity to jigsaw your learning in class.

I appreciate your request to review the process of lesson planning for younger grades. I will see what we can do!