Week 7

My AHA moment from the VMFA field trip came from one of the cards that guide visitor interactions with the artwork. The one that really stood out to me was “Strike a Pose.” In this engagement strategy, the student has to carefully imitate the body position and facial expression that is depicted in the artwork. They then have to pause and reflect on how they feel in that pose. Diving deeper, they consider how the figure depicted must feel the same way and compare their ideas to the information given on the label for the artwork. The students are then asked “What makes sense? What is surprising?” I love this whole concept because it really makes the students put themselves in the shoes of the person depicted. It makes them take their own feelings, combine them about historical inferences from the artwork that they might not even be fully aware of, and then draw conclusions about the piece. It’s almost like an understated “It says, I say, and so.” My favorite part of the “Strike a Pose” thought process is the last question: “What ideas of your own would you add to the label if you could?” This is adds a new layer of value to the process for the students. It would be fun to have the students take notes during the trip and have them re-write one or two labels after completing this activity. After returning to school, it would be a great opportunity for a think-pair-share to debrief and reflect after the field trip.

One thought on “Week 7”

1. Marlea, I love the idea you mention “Strike a Pose.” One thing I will need to caution you about. You need to be selective about the statues or images you allow student to use to conduct this activity. If there was a statue depicting human agony you might want to stay clear of those. It is always a good idea for teachers to visit the exhibit ahead of the students to make sure they are completely aware of what will be seen. One example might be a statue depicting human enslavement. It would not be culturally sensitive for a student to mimic this pose or a statue, painting, or image of someone experiencing the events of the Holocaust. You might be thinking…duh Lynne :0). I get it!! But, I have seen things like happen from well-meaning teachers that did not consider the sensitivity aspect. While you may never think of doing this, someone you work with might and you would have to step in and save the day. I am so glad our trip to the VMFA inspired you to consider lessons for your own class one day!