Week 5 Reflection

I thoroughly enjoyed the Harriet Tubman activity in class tonight.  When we were given the rate your knowledge sheet, I felt almost like our lesson was backwards in a sense.  I liked the lesson that we participated in as well as the one we observed in the video because it seemed so different than the social studies lessons I was used to in school.  I think it was very useful discussing the vocabulary of the lesson prior to diving into the meat of the topic.  Front loading is so important!  I was intrigued when each group was asked to pick three words that best fit together and each group picked different words.  Overall, the timeline of the lesson was really interesting and new to me but it flowed really well.  The progression from the vocabulary to discussion to the reading was really fluid and even helped boost my knowledge of the subject!  It was also nice to be able to see a teacher actively teaching the lesson.

2 thoughts on “Week 5 Reflection”

1. Lane,
    I think it’s interesting that this lesson felt “backwards” to you. I do think that frontloading feels foreign sometimes because it’s so different than the way most of us were taught. My social studies lessons always began with a textbook reading. I’ll admit I like this approach so much better. The activities not only set students up for success, but provide a hook to interest them and keep them engaged. This purpose setting is so important.

2. Lane, I am drawn to this comment you made and would like to respond:

“I was intrigued when each group was asked to pick three words that best fit together and each group picked different words.”

You have recognized here that students can make meaning in many different ways. Providing evidence to back up claims carries the learning even deeper. That is why we always ask students to be prepared to explain “why.” In history, facts are facts. It is how we interpret those facts to find meaning that makes the learning of history a rich experience.

Thank you for your reflection.