Blog Post #2

Vocabulary;

Growing up I alway dreaded having to do vocab test. They were always timed and half the time they were short answer. I would have to make flash card to memorize the words to put on the test. Back then, I thought I was doing pretty well with the memorization but I never really knew what the word actually meant. When it was time for review or benchmarks I would have no idea what was going on.

I remotely remember how the vocab week would go;

1. Get the list of vocab and individually get the w

One thought on “Blog Post #2”

1. Hi Haley, Your blog from last week looks like you still have thoughts to add but I will comment on what you have. I think your personal connection to learning vocabulary is a common tale. Learning vocabulary my memorizing and not connecting the meaning in context makes the learner have to work extra hard! I do not think that is fair and is an example of “working harder, not smarter.” If students have to learn vocabulary by using flashcards they should soon thereafter make direct connections to the lesson. One example of this would be for students to read text that uses the terms in context and then pair up students to engage in historical discourse about the topic of study and embed the terms. It may take some practice but this would be a performance task/assessment authentic to the discipline.