Blog #11

Class last night was possibly one of my favorite this semester. I have always found the jig-saw method to be extremely meaningful during class time. Last night being able to participate as a student, but using my teacher frame of mind I was again reminded of the importance that it can play. Using this method allows for a wide range of documents and information to be covered in a relatively effective time. I have typically seen this done only using wide ranges of texts, so being able to see it done with a range of primary documents was exciting. I learned more about the dust bowl in the short amount of time that we had for group discussion that I would have otherwise.

As we were able to continue to work through this beast that is lesson planning I continue to find it very helpful to talk out the different aspect with my peers. Collaborating with other teachers allows me to see many different styles but also helps me craft my own. I am feeling more confident in my ability to write lesson plans and not send myself down a rabbit hole of trying to have each part perfect, but rather think about what will be the more impactful for students.

It’s hard to believe that the semester is almost over! Practicing many different methods of approaching teaching continues to remind me that I get the awesome privilege in a few short months of doing this in my own classroom.

One thought on “Blog #11”

1. Caroline, in a corny sort of way, it truly warms my heart to read reflections like yours where you express new understandings and appreciation for our pedagogical practices. The jigsaw methods is such a great way for students to take ownership of their own learning by preparing to teach it to others.

I am also glad lesson planning is beginning to come together as well. Stay the course! You are doing great.