Week 10 Reflection

I really enjoyed our lesson plan activity for the last portion of class today. I think it was extremely helpful to work with another student in the class because for parts of the lesson plan I struggle with, Debbie was able to give me really good ideas and explain what the section should look like. I think I have a much better understanding of differentiation as well as technology because of what she shared with me which I have continually struggled with  before. I think this was extremely helpful and want to thank you for including it for us. Each education class I have had to make lessons in the UR template, and while we are allowed to have revisions, I think setting aside class time to dissect each section will help me tremendously have a better understanding of what needs to be in each section. On another note, I think the class time about anti-bias children’s books was also extremely important to think about when bringing resources into the classroom. Although, I still struggle with trying to understand when a depiction of a character is  being historically accurate OR stereotypical. I recognize it is obviously being stereotypical in a scenario in which a character may be dressed as a Native American for Halloween or birthday party,  but I am not sure exactly in historical picture books where the line should be drawn.

One Comment

1. Lynne Bland Lynne Bland

Abby, I am glad the lesson plan practice in class helped you. I felt good about the opportunity as well. As far as knowing where the “line should be drawn” about choosing bias-free books I feel the best thing to do is to: a) carefully read historical picture books ahead of the lesson with your PLC and/or b) carefully review the book with your librarian ahead of reading it to the class. If you detect bias you can decide to use parts of book or find a new book. The important thing is to have discussions with others to promote awareness.