Week 9 Reflection

I really appreciated that during yesterday’s class you both discussed and explained more thoroughly some of the sections of the lesson plan. I have found while lesson planning for social studies that it has been the hardest for me to plan for across the education courses I have taken. I think it is hard for me to find how to best differentiate instruction for social studies. I have a better understanding for the product section but I am still a little unsure of the process and content sections. I think these sections are hard for me to envision because I don’t have specific students with specific needs in mind. I wonder how I should approach differentiation for a theoretical classroom…I also agree with my classmates that it would be extremely helpful to see a good lesson plan filled out in the UR template. However, with social studies lesson planning I have also found a window of opportunity to be creative. I think the content allows for a lot of exploration and creativity. Students can do a lot of further investigations from what they learn and history has several perspectives to explore.

One Comment

1. Lynne Bland Lynne Bland

Abby, I can imagine that it must be somewhat frustrating when you are trying to decide exactly what should be in a lesson plan . My concern is that providing an example might limited student thinking too much. There is value in determining your own meaning, receiving feedback, and continuing to grow your plan. You will have the hang of it by the end of the semester. Keep me posted if you have questions.