Week 7 Reflection

In regards to our field trip, I enjoyed the “Taste of the Ancient World” tour. I also liked the activities the tour guide proctored to our class. The activities got the wheels turning in my mind and I was imagining what the ancient cultures and cities looked like and worked like. I also wondered what the people dressed like and what a daily conversation would be like. I think field trips are great for sparking student imagination and are very supplemental to their knowledge and understanding. I think students will better understand and remember a topic if they get to observe and experience what they are learning about. I also liked how Dr. Bland mentioned showing the students the pieces of art that will be visited during their field trip beforehand. I think that would better spark a conversation and take away from the awkwardness of silence when the tour guide first poses a question. It may also allow students to come with up with questions to ask as well as activate prior knowledge they have about the topic. However, I wonder how hard it is to get field trips approved by your school? How is the cost of field trips determined? I also wondered how much freedom we give students while in a museum. What grade can they explore independently? On the other hand, I did not enjoy the distance learning as much. I think it was a little harder to stay engaged. Lastly, I was surprised by how these pieces of art sparked memories of knowledge that I learned years ago! But I was also surprised by how much I couldn’t remember –ouch! Overall, I enjoyed most of the field trip experience and look forward to taking field trips with my future classes!

One Comment

1. Lynne Bland Lynne Bland

Hi Abby, I am glad you enjoyed the field trip experience! I will try and answer a few of your questions. Dr. Stohr might weigh in as well.

However, I wonder how hard it is to get field trips approved by your school? Typically, if field trips are aligned to the standards and teachers can clearly show how the trip will purposefully support instruction it should not be a problem. Usually, field trips are planned ahead of time and plans are made pertaining to costs.

How is the cost of field trips determined? Field trip destination determine the cost of the trip. Some destinations provide discounts for certain schools. PTAs sometimes help support the cost for students who cannot pay.

I also wondered how much freedom we give students while in a museum. Typically, students are not allowed freedom in the museum. However, if you have parent volunteers assigned to groups, the group can roam the museum.

What grade can they explore independently? See above.

On the other hand, I did not enjoy the distance learning as much. I think it was a little harder to stay engaged. Yes, this was not as easy to stay engaged as the face-to-face trip. The virtual trip helps for schools that cannot make the trip.