Week 4 Reflection

I really enjoyed the activity of analyzing written documents and photographs. The activity activated critical thinking skills as well as asked the student to make an inference and draw conclusions. While accomplishing all of this in one activity, it is also enjoyable for the student. During my time in school, I remember hating to be asked to “draw inferences” because I wasn’t confident in my knowledge at times and felt like my answers had to be “right”. However, I liked how this activity lets students explore personal documents and come to their own conclusions about the subject without feeling the pressure to be “right”. The activity was engaging and fun.

While looking at the 2015 skills progression chart for kindergarten standards, I was at first overwhelmed by all the skills they must be practicing throughout the school year. As I analyzed the document more, I realized many of these skills can be practiced across content skill areas. That realization came to me with great relief as covering all the curriculum while meeting the needs of all my future students is one of my biggest concerns in my years of teaching.

1. Lynne Bland Lynne Bland

Hi Abby, I like how you make connections from your childhood experiences to the experience you had in class regarding inferences. Making inferences are not an easy thing to do. It certainly takes practice. I am glad you had a good experience that will hopefully transfer to your own classroom one day. I realize that the skills progression can look a bit overwhelming but it really does come together! We will do more in class to help you see how. Thanks for your reflection.

2. Hi Abby,
    Do you have any thoughts about how you might do this in your own classroom? What kind of photographs and documents might you use? I agree that making inferences is difficult, but it too is a skill that can be practiced across the curriculum.