My American Identity

The Identity of American History

The American Flag

The American Flag, for me, embodies everything America stands for. When any individual lays eyes on this symbol of patriotism and national identity, they should understand that it represents unity, strength, freedom, and many other American privileges. This flag represents what our country stands for and truly embodies the idea of being an American. I feel proud every time I take a step on the baseball field and get to respect the flag.

The Declaration Of Independence

The Declaration of Independence was a major turning point in history. The declaration of Independence, followed by the Bill of Rights symbolize freedom and the right to free will in America. Prior to the drafting and signing of this declaration, America was under strict provisions and restrictions by their mother country, Britain. With the implementation of this agreement, our country moved towards the goal of freedom and it laid out the foundation for all the privileges we have today. I am proud to say that this is what allows me to go outside and freely breathe fresh air and live out my life the way in which I want to.

The Civil War

Another reason I am extremely proud to be an American citizen is because of the sense of unity I feel in my everyday life. From playing baseball, to attending a University, to the broad idea of being a member of society, the sense of togetherness is abundant to me. In this country, people of all colors are welcomed (for the most part in my opinion) and this is because of the forward movements that the civil war allowed to come about. This war was a major shift for America and I feel a sense of national identity and unity with everyone because of it.

Jackie Robinson – First African American to make the major leagues

Being a college baseball player and an avid fan of the sport, I strongly support anything Jackie Robinson related. He was the first black male athlete to make a major impact in the major leagues, or any professional sport much less. He opened the door for many disadvantaged individuals in years to come and I am very proud to play the sport that he did, representing the values and integrity that he did. Not every country allows for those of different ethnicities and races to participate in the same activity, and I am extremely grateful and proud to live in a country that does.

9/11- Bombing of The Twin Towers

This is a photo of the attack on the Twin Towers on September 11th, 2001. Although this is a photo of tragedy, it brings me great national pride and pride in my identity as an American. The way this nation has responded to such a gruesome act of violence is truly remarkable and the efforts made by millions of individuals nationwide following the event has allowed for us to progress in such an amazing way over the past 19 years. The grit, and perseverance that this photo embodies, for me, make me extremely gracious and proud to live in this great country and those are two characteristics that I strive to live by every day.

Neil Armstrong – First man to walk on the moon

Americans pride themselves on many things, but to me, this photo is one of the greatest achievements our country has ever had. For years prior to this, nations had attempted to reach the moon, and after just a few short years of research, America sent the first man to the moon. I am proud to live in a nation that is at the top of the line in gaining knowledge, technology, and all in all wits. The fact that we were able to accomplish this before other nations who worked at the same pace speaks measures about how great America truly is.

Barack Obama elected in 2008

In 2008, the first black President ever was elected. Barack Obama becoming the president was a testament to the advancements our country has made in terms of equality. Some other countries would never allow something like this to happen but I feel blessed to live in a democratic society that gives everyone a chance and allows everyone to have the same achievable goals. It gives me personally tons of hope to think that I can achieve any goal I set my mind to.

The National Anthem

The national anthem, which is the song that truly identifies America was originally a poem. The poem was later set to music and officially became the National Anthem in 1931. It is a heart wrenching and awe-inspiring song every single time it’s played whether at the Olympics, other sporting events, or public gathering. It is sung with great American pride and represents all those who have fought to preserve our freedoms

The Great Depression

The Great Depression is the single largest and most impactful economic recession in modern history. It took place from 1929 until 1939 and peaked at a staggering 25% unemployment rate that caused nearly everyone to struggle for money. The impact of the Great Depression lead to the Americans joining the Allied powers in World War II, in part to help bolster their economy, while helping to defeat the Nazis. The fact that America was able to prosper following this time period is another telling sign of how resilient this country is.

World War 2

World War Two was a defining point in United States history. The United States was challenged and rose to the occasion by defeating Japan. A new era of Patriotism arose from the war as people united on the homefront to win the war. The United States also showed the world its capability with the dropping of the nuclear bombs on Japan as they became feared on the world stage by adversaries.

The Statue of Liberty

The Statue of Liberty, surprisingly, is not American. It was built in France in the late 1800s and offered as a gift, the Statue of Liberty has embedded itself in American culture as a symbol of independence and acceptance. The thousands of immigrants who arrived in the United States by way of Ellis Island saw Lady Liberty as a beacon of hope when they entered New York Harbor by sea.

American Music

From jazz, blues, country, bluegrass, Americana, and my personal favorite Hip Hop; these genres are just a few examples of American musical innovation. These distinctly American styles developed in different areas of the country and have taken on international importance as they grew increasingly popular. Our American music is listened to be people worldwide, showing the influence we have on other nations as well.