A Walk in Paris

#1&DONE 2 Comments

After a day and a half in Paris, knowing how to successfully navigate to the metro, and butcher about 3 sayings in French, I can say with conviction that I’m ready to move here full time.

In one of our first class meetings we discussed possible language barriers that may be present while we were in Germany, and the class was quickly assured that most people will be able to speak English. The same is not true in Paris. At times there are businesses where none of the staff speak English, and they rely on other customers to translate for silly, uncultured tourists. If I wasn’t a tourist, I would be inclined to learn French as soon as possible, likely before I committed to living here. It makes me think about populations in the US who do not speak English and run into these issues every day. The difference between the US and France is that France has an official language (French), while the US technically does not.

The “common tongue” or English is so widely popular that it had been forged into US culture across all systems and most institutions. Things are changing, but slowly, and only in response to demand. For instance, more signs and instructions etc. are now available in English and Spanish, but that is in response to the vast number of Spanish speaking individuals migrating to the US. If the same influx was from Portuguese or Swahili speaking individuals, I believe we would see a similar result. Another difference I’ve noticed in my extensive and educated tourist experience, Parisians are not upset that I can’t speak French, whereas, in the US, I have witnessed store employees and bystanders be visibly and vocally upset about others speaking a language other then English, or not being able to communicate in English.

In just two days I’ve been inspired to learn as much French as I can, simply to enjoy the response of native Parisians as they appreciate the effort (no matter how heinous my pronunciations are). This mentality should be spread through the US. Instead of addressing a language barrier with anger and frustration, try to help in whatever way possible, then figure out what you can do differently to break down that barrier.

2 thoughts on “A Walk in Paris

• Yulia Kulay

Steven,
    I am glad that we got to explore Paris together! You are so right, nobody judges you here for not speaking French. Everyone has been very patient with us trying to explain what we need, which is definitely a relief when you are in a foreign country. A linguist in me gets excited every time I hear someone speaking a foreign language. I personally find French to be one the most beautiful languages in the world. Can’t wait to share our findings with the rest of the group!

• Katherine Cassada

This is wonderful, Steven. Paris is an amazing city. I’ve never really been out to the country, only the suburbs, so rural France is on my list. I think I’ll need a little more of the language there, though! I’m sure your extensive and educated tourist experience is coming in handy! I have had the same experience, people are grateful if you try their language, even if you are rough with it. It Germany, many people will use English. It’s not universal for sure, but certainly enough to manage. I try to give at least rudimentary greetings to be respectful.