Blog Post 4/22

What stuck out most to be in the final podcast was the notion of a useful degree versus a useless one. I came to the University of Richmond knowing I wanted to major in Leadership studies and Business Administration. Even before I enrolled I had been told that a Leadership degree was not useful and that I would need hard skills, hence the Finance concentration. To be honest, I do not enjoy Finance or most of the business school classes for that matter. The overall intellectual level is low (among students, all the professors are wonderful and brilliant), yet an air of privilege and expectation is ever present. I still get questions about what exactly a Leadership degree is and I still get made fun of for having a useless degree. But, I no longer care. My Leadership classes are intellectually stimulating and enjoyable. Most importantly to me, they are not overly structured and allow for genuine discussion and conversation. I am not worried about future success, both because success is a goal one sets for themself and because success is measured in many different ways. I know that after graduating, I will be a better person, intellectual, and business-man for having majored in Leadership Studies. That is more than enough for me.

The tea cup analogy Dr. Bezio used, and the first essay from our “Impossible” reading helped put back into perspective the effect any one of us can have on making the world a better place. The massive scope of the COVID-19 pandemic has made it hard to think that small, individual actions can actually have a positive impact on the world at large. However, as Dr. Bezio pointed out, if everyone did a little bit of good, then there would be a lot of good that had been done. The actions can be as little as picking up trash and litter from around campus because helping the Earth is also a noble cause. Who would have thought that? The readings for today have reinvigorated me to put more care and effort into the smaller actions, because even during a global pandemic, their effect can be massive.

3 thoughts on “Blog Post 4/22

1. Oona Elovaara

I’m glad to hear that you no longer care about anyone else’s opinion because I know that you will be better off in any career field, whether that is business or not, with the leadership and life skills that you have learned at Jepson. I also really enjoy the open discussion and conversational aspects of my leadership classes. I love hearing about the world from different perspectives, and discussing interesting topics with other educated people. I think we are learning so many essential interpersonal skills in Jepson that will be helpful no matter what career field we enter.

2. Evie Hanson

I am the same way! I am a business major, but decided to add leadership studies as an additional major in order to be more balanced. I was also so focused on what other people would think when I said I was also majoring in leadership studies, but the further and further I get into my courses, I truly appreciate how special our experience at Jepson is. Jepson was one of the things that stood out to me when I chose Richmond and now there is no doubt that I made the right choice. I think everyone should at least take one class in Jepson as it truly does expose you to new ways of thinking and new perspectives.

3. Madelyn Grassi

I love what you say in the first paragraph, and I totally agree. I’m also a double major in Business Administration, and I really do find that the overwhelming majority of my “learning” takes place in the Jepson classrooms. I don’t mean to disrespect Robins in any way, but I honestly could not tell you half of the material I learned in those classes – I would remember the material for exams and then it leaves my brain almost immediately after. But, leadership classes are the ones I find myself discussing with my parents when I go home or talking with my friends about because it is there that I actually learn — I understand, I perceive, I listen, and I grow.