Blog Post April 19th – Music

I could write an 8 to 12-page research paper on either of these music videos. The number of references, statements, ideas, questions, and more in both the music video for Childish Gambino’s This Is America and Beyonce’s Formation (without hours and hours of close reading and analysis) seems infinite. But I will not close read either of these music videos in my blog post because the entire time I was listening to Post cast #12 The Song that Doesn’t End I was thinking about my Senior year of high school’s history class. We did a whole unit on the Vietnam War protest songs. We close read songs, the texts, rhythms, context, and more. My teacher had us all close read the songs and then we would discuss in class our thoughts which lead to long discussions about interoperation and perspective. I thought it was fascinating and sadly have forgotten which songs we close read. But this podcast did prompt me to go find a lot of my old work from the class and made me think of other discussions we had in high school about music.

My homeroom teacher was a science teacher and a musician. One day in homeroom he had us all come in and he put the music video for Childish Gambino’s This Is America on the large screen in the front of the classroom. We watched it and discussed it, I do not know for sure if this is true, but I feel as though not many other people here at UR had high school experiences like mine in which a teacher could put on a video like this one and not get hate for it. I feel lucky that my high school teachers brought up such things. And I think it is fascinating that here two years later these discussions are no less prominent. Fascinating but also disappointing as I feel as though music videos like this one have only become more relevant to our day-to-day lives. While I say that I do not mean they were not relevant then but simply I, and many others, are more educated than we were two years ago and we see things such as racial-based violence in the news more and more each day.

2 thoughts on “Blog Post April 19th – Music

1. Regan McCrossan

I also agree that I could write a 10 pg paper on either of the music videos. They are so interesting because even though they are for entertainment, they serve much deeper purposes. My teachers also had us watch This is America in class and we had a really interesting discussion. Our generation gets to be more creative in the ways in which they use their platform.

2. Oona Elovaara

I agree that I could also write an entire research paper on either video. There is so much happening in both videos, and so many little details that I probably don’t even see or won’t ever recognize. I watched a youtube video one time that broke down the “This is America” music video, and all the hidden messages in it. Every single idea and detail in that video was intentional and highly planned out to send the message across. I also think it’s really cool that your high school history class spent an entire unit on Vietnam war protest songs. I feel like most history classes are just rushing to get through the main material that no time is ever spent on smaller, but just as important, events like those.