Blog Post 4/19

In both of the articles and the podcast, I noticed that while the discussion centered the role of music and songs, these were closely linked to the visuals attached to the music, making it about more than just the song itself. Tanish C. Fords article mentions how Beyonce coined the term “visual album.” While “This is America” is only one song, and each of the songs mentioned in the podcast are primarily individual songs, this term demonstrates how music moves beyond just audio to a greater sensory experience that provides even more context than the music alone. Even before music videos existed, the way Dr. Bezio discusses the prominence of jazz music in speak-easys—create a visual and then providing an example of the music—demonstrates how strongly tied music is to the experiences it references or spaces it exists in. This is particularly true about the relationship between music and protest.

The use of song as protest is something that I have always found particularly interesting, especially in relation to dance the discussion in both articles of how Beyonce and Childish Gambino incorporate dance in their music video to create an even more powerful message. Ladan Osman describes the beginning of the music video for “This is America” as “annihilating a root in black music. [Then] Moments later, Gambino slays the heart of a black optimism. And he keeps dancing, assuring us there’s no sanctuary.” Meanwhile, Tanisha C. Ford discusses how Beyonce’s performance of the “signature shoulder shrug choreography to “Run the World” on tour are an example of the image the Beyonce has created as she has developed her brand, moving away from working under her father to owning her own production company. Gambino’s use of dance further promotes the specific message of the music video surrounding the way racial violence has become normalized in American society, specifically related to the shooting in Charleston. Beyonce’s use of dance in her performance engages a broader message surrounding Beyonce’s overall image and identity as a black female artist. Both of these uses engage music and dance as a means of bringing a conscious and intentional message, which is crucial to any protest or movement, which I think is part of why music is such a powerful medium for protests and movements.

3 thoughts on “Blog Post 4/19

1. Sofie Martinez

I like that you focused on the visual element of both of these songs. I definitely focused more on the musical element, but feel as though for those two songs in particular, the visuals gave it life. Because songs are so limited in what they are able to say (you have to repeat certain phrases multiple times and unless you’re Eminem, 3 minutes isn’t enough to share an entire expose on a subject), visuals can really validate and clarify the meaning an artist wanted to give to the piece. Especially for Formation, the visuals MADE the song make sense to me.

2. Alejandra De Leon

I know that I myself forget that music has more meaning, it has more of a role as it can be used in protest. Part of this could be because I spend most of the time listening to the song itself and not watching any of the videos which is where other elements such as movements and depiction of a story works along with the music to create a powerful message. I thought this podcast and videos reminded me of the different messages that music can/does present.

3. Josephine Holland

I think your attention to the visuals of the music is really important. In a way, this music video opens up an entirely new way to process music. When just listening to ‘This is America’ or ‘Formation,’ you may not pick up on the deeper meaning of the lyrics without the visuals. Additionally, the visuals can back up the lyrics, challenge them, parallel them, or subvert them, which adds more texture to the possible analysis of the music.