Blog for 4/20

The Beyonce video was really cool, I’ve never seen it before. I really liked how it seemed to be set in a time period where white people had a lot of power, but Beyonce flipped the script and had all black people dressed as white people were dressed in that time. It was really cool to see how the video was worked to have black people take back the power in that setting. Ford wrote that Beyonce’s lyrics were a way for her to claim her power, that she has earned her spot among the greats (196). Another really interesting part to me was that Beyonce had a different hair style in every scene which I think is a huge part of black women culture and really cool to see in the video. She didn’t have to do it but she did, and I just thought it was cool to see.

Childish Gambino’s This is America video was one I watched a lot when it first came out. It is one that is hard to look away from. The most intriguing but also kinda scary part was all the kids in school uniforms. It reminds me a lot of all the school shootings across the US and also makes me think of how desensitized society is to all of these school shootings. As Osman says, the school children’s “inattentiveness to the horrors behind them is both appalling and familiar” (40). It is a really scary thought that we just hear about these shootings and just add them to the list, without any real action being taken. This year alone, the US has had 150 mass shootings (Wikipedia) and that number is super high for less than 4 months into the year but it literally felt like just a number when I wrote it down. That’s a really scary thought that personally I am so desensitized to the violence in the US.

2 thoughts on “Blog for 4/20

1. Christopher Wilson

I, too, noticed how frequently Beyonce changed her hairstyles throughout “Formation.” I believe one reason she did that was to underscore the notion that there is diversity within the Black identity, especially for Black men and women, which many people tend to forget.

2. Madyson Fitzgerald

I think that the part about school shootings is even relevant now; there have been numerous shootings in the last month. It’s a little sad that although “This is America” came out a while ago, a lot of its images are still very present.