Blog Post 4/13

I think that pop culture is so defining for how we understand our world. It has always been important in history and the people during that time, but I think that it is becoming more and more relevant. Yes, back then these popular trends and culture had a major impact back then as well, as understood by the Shakespeare example. But, I think that it is becoming more connecting through social media and the ability to spread ideas, pop culture, across the world.  This culture is now spread less through stories but through images, videos, sounds, and stories. It is hard to imagine that we are not fully involved in pop culture 24/7 because of our phones. Most of us spend hours on our phones, scrolling through social media, and soaking up everything that we are being shown. Whether we are aware of it or not, the things we see stick with us. It shapes our beliefs, political views, and understanding of those around us. For example, I don’t think phrases like “what are thoseeee” or “sheeeesh” would have spread very widely if it wasn’t for social media. And as silly as they are, they have and many people will recognize them and connect to it. I also thought Dr. Bezio’s point of not dismissing pop culture as just entertainment is really important. The aforementioned phrases are probably not the best examples, but I do believe a lot of what we consider pop culture is actively working to shape and define our world, connecting us to each other. We normalize things by using media and I think that there will be even more representation to come, helping us normalize even more than just the classic white man. Black Panther is the perfect example of how pop culture is truly connecting when it reflects many people and shared ideas, evolving into more than just a Marvel movie, but into a movement itself (RIP Chadwick Boseman, this one still makes me sad). Overall, while I know pop culture is not a new idea and a lot of how we understand the world today was shaped by pop culture, I think that it is becoming increasingly relevant with the boom in technology that we are facing.

3 thoughts on “Blog Post 4/13

1. Josephine Holland

I appreciate your integration of really ‘popular’ pop culture like phrases from vines and tiktok. On first glance, a lot of them seem meaningless and absurd, how exactly could they impact a wider world of events? And to be honest, a lot of them are meaningless and absurd, but what is really interesting is how our generation has built an entire lexicon around the internet and social media (more than just internet lingo, but phrases and images that are not inherently related to the internet). You can be in a random part of the world, and if you start a two-part popular phrase (ex. And the were roommates! Oh my god they were roommates), chances are someone will be able to finish it (within reason). I think the ability to build an instant surface-level connection with peers could have a big impact on how our generation deals with larger cultural events as well.

2. Hannah Levine

I agree: pop culture is so important in how we define our world. It is hard to appreciate how much of an influence our pop culture has on the world around us because we are currently experiencing it, but looking at examples of Shakespeare and Robin Hood demonstrate its impacts.

We are in a really interesting time when information and ideas and pop culture can and do spread so quickly, and are absorbed by so many people across the world. Shakespeare and Robin Hood did not span the same audiences in their time that our pop culture does now because our pop culture is connected around the globe. I wonder how this growth of reach in audience will impact society in the future.

3. Grace Deller

I agree with your thoughts about pop culture. For Black Panther in particular, I think that the movie’s massive influence not only in pop culture but also social movements really exemplifies how important representation is. The phrase “Wakanda Forever” has been adopted by social movements since the movie’s release and has become not only a phrase of empowerment, but also celebration. I think this movie’s message will carry on for years to come but will also set a powerful precedent in the importance of similar stories and narratives.