Blog Post 4/6

Both the reading and the podcast  for today were really interesting, and made me think about my own education as well as some of the terms used in context. First off in the podcast, I knew about the Great Man Theory because it was discussed both in my leadership 101 and leadership 102 courses, but I never really thought about why in very past history there was not much recorded about common life besides white, rich men. It made perfect sense when Dr.Bezio described that if you wanted something recorded on that day you had to pay for it, meaning the history of the time that was recorded was about rich, white kings, guardsmen, and knights. This shows us that even in ancient times, records of events are distorted and only parts are recorded based on those recording it. This can be related to any way that the media distorts information today, as depending on which news station or magazine or website records information, it can be displayed very differently and from specific perspectives. This idea that  People who seem to do everything in history are white, christian men with money made me think about my own education, especially middle and high school. Besides from MLK, Rosa Parks, and Fredrick Douglass, I did not learn about many other people of color who made an impact on history. I also did not learn about many women, or even the way that common people lived, and if I learned about the way common people lived, it was told from the perspective of comparing their lifestyles or in the context of the “leader” or nobles. 

Continuing with this idea of only learning about specific people in history, When Dr.Bezio brought up the idea of Invisible Leadership, it reminded me of a lesson I had last semester in Leadership 101 with Dr.Henley. We spent a day in class learning about people of color in the Civil rights movement that are not normally taught about in classrooms, giving us just a taste of these people who were truly leaders in their own right, but their work seems invisible to us. This idea is strengthened when Dr.Bezio in the podcast bringing up MLK and how although he was the speaker and face of the moment, most of the people who were leading it were behind the scenes, many being women. This is also Strengthened with the reading from Dr.Hayter, as the whole article basically discusses how local people, or people that may be “invisible leaders”, can have a national level impact.

One thought on “Blog Post 4/6

1. Madyson Fitzgerald

I think you bring up a really good point about invisible leaders and their contributions to progress in our society. I also think it’s unfortunate that they remain “invisible” because more prominent figures are always taught, so they’re stuck in the shadow. Plus, many educators disregard the need to introduce these invisible leaders. As a result, I see how it can be hard to become a known leader unless history’s writers want it that way.