Post for 4/1/2021

I watched ads from the 1956 race (Eisenhower vs Stevenson). Eisenhower was running for re-election that year, and his ads interestingly didn’t attack Stevenson at all. Stevenson’s ads, on the other hand, almost all included some reference to how Eisenhower hadn’t delivered on all of his promises during his first term. I wonder if Eisenhower’s refrain from attack ads has to do with the limited information that voters had back then (compared to the present day). Stevenson could very easily point to Eisenhower’s track record, but because the former hadn’t held presidential office, he had less of a reputation. Less people were familiar with the results of his policies, and therefore there was less about him available to effectively attack.

My favorite ad is one from Stevenson’s campaign. The ad is about 4 minutes long, and features a monologue from Stevenson, from his home in Illinois. The monologue takes up several minutes, and is all done in one take (there are no cuts or editing). Stevenson speaks well, but there are moments where you can tell he briefly forgot what he was going to say, or stumbled over a word or two. It also appears that he is giving the speech from memory, rather than reading from some kind of teleprompter. In a way, this ad is refreshing because it doesn’t seem as contrived and scripted as the campaign ads that I’m used to seeing. It feels like a human is talking to you, as opposed to an image or idea being marketed to you.

3 thoughts on “Post for 4/1/2021

1. Sophia Hartman

That’s so interesting of these ads that there were not many attack ads. I looked at Democratic ads from 2016, and they were majority attack ads. I’m curious if this difference has to do simply with the nature of the election in that given year, or if there is some sort of trend overtime of people using more attack ads.

2. Hiroki Cook

I find it extremely interesting that they would allow a four-minute monologue to be played as a campaign ad. It definitely wouldn’t slide today. Playing a four-minute ad would be extremely costly in itself, but the fact that they allowed the candidate to freely recite a speech from memory would be unheard of today. Just shows how much has changed in media.

3. Jennifer Schlur

I found it interesting from your description that it sounded like he was giving the speech from memory. I had to watch ads from the 2020 election year and all the ads I watched were quite perfect even those that included voice overs about the background of the candidate. Like you said I believe having the monologue not being exactly perfect seems like it would make the candidate slightly more human and would make for an effective ad.