Podcast #8

It was really interesting to learn about the evolution of media exposure, especially between radio and television. I had never heard about the divide that occurred about the debate between Kennedy and Nixon regarding those who watched the debate on television and those who listened on the radio. I’d be curious to know how this trend looked in relation to party lines, because I’d want to consider the impact of implicit bias, however, based on the podcast, it sounded like a division regardless of party, which shows how much our “lizard brain” makes judgements based on physical appearance, behaviors, and mannerisms. This reminds me of what Dr. Bezio was saying class on Monday about how humans’ brains and characteristics are not actually adapted to much of the society we live in, and so many of our instincts contradict what we consciously want to do in the systems we function within. While for survival purposes it makes sense to focus on behaviors and physical traits, this does not translate to our societal values, or to use a debate to determine our perspectives on two individuals.

One of the ads that I found most interesting of the 2016 Democratic campaign ads called barbershop. While it was clear the ad was trying to demonstrate that Hillary Clinton had a diverse group of supports,  primarily depicting Black voters supporting Hillary, beyond that, that ad did not really seem to check any of the other categories on the survey we filled out for homework. I found it to stand out compared to the others as most of the other ads clearly were promoting multiple of the points on the survey. I’m not sure if this was to really emphasize this one component or if the add was made in response to a comment or something else, but it was interesting to see this ad focused on just one component of her campaign compared to the other “multi-tasking” ads.

3 thoughts on “Podcast #8

1. Helen Strigel

I too found it interesting to learn about the divide of public opinion based on who listened to or watched the debate. Also, it is interesting that you noticed how the ad was really trying to focus on one point and didn’t really convey any other information.

2. Regan McCrossan

I find this interesting as I analyzed the 1984 debate. I didn’t even think about the contradictions between radio and television and how that impacts society. I find the aspect of media to be really effective even back in the day. What is most shocking is how technology and the influence of the media has transformed society from back in the day to now.

3. Leah Kulma

That is interesting that you felt like Clinton’s ad was doing less “multi-tasking” than most of the other ads. I wonder if strategically there was a point in her campaign that forced her to think more simple– take one issue on at a time. The 2016 election felt so chaotic that maybe her team was trying a different tactic for once to try to calm things down at least in a minor way.