March 31st Post

http://livingroomcandidate.org/commercials/1972

My favorite McGovern advertisement from 1972 is “This Time.” I couldn’t really tell you why I liked it more than other ads, but I really enjoyed the end of the ad when they shake hands and cheer. I also liked this commercial because not only did the dialogue bring up relevant topics that were around during his campaign, specifically about international relations, China, Russia war, veterans, and communism but because it was based on a conversation with one civilian it enhanced McGovern’s personability. The conversation also happened in front of what seemed to be a strong working-class community. Next, I noticed that McGovern had way more “anti-other candidate” commercials than Nixon. I am interested to see the spread of data in class to see if that has to do with his democratic party affiliation or if is just that Nixon was running again to he had decisions he made and things that happen while Nixon was in office to use against him.

I think there should have been checkboxes in our list about the Environment and Change/openness, and International relations. I felt like they were missing.

Additionally, I was drawn to Dr. Bezio’s pos cast because it made me think of my FYS First semester of my freshman year. I took a rhetoric class focused on the White House, and we also talked about the effect of being able to hear and see the president on VT and radio, and how heavily that impacted the public.

2 thoughts on “March 31st Post

1. Samuel Shapiro

Nixon’s victory was really never in doubt and I think analyzing the election ads from that point of view would be interesting. Maybe there is a strong correlation between more ads that are “anti-other candidate,” and not winning the election. Purely a hypothesis (one that is likely wrong), but McGovern was blown out in the election.

2. William Shapiro

I watched ads from 1956 where the incumbent president (Eisenhower) was also the subject of more attack ads than his opponent (Stevenson). I wonder if this trend is just a result of the candidate who had spent the previous four years in office receiving more criticism.