Blog post 4/1

I looked at the ad’s from the 2000s, meaning it was the Bush/Gore election. Interestingly, these two had very similar hot topics that they focused on, which were taxes and education. I think taxes are typically mentioned because many voters primarily cast their ballots based on money. Each party has a distinct fiscal policy, and each year, they have to bring it up to re-educate the population about how and why their policy is better. However, the other idea they focused on was education, and this was very interesting to me because I knew that there was an education issue in the US. Still, I did not realize how bad it actually was that the candidates would address the issue.

One thing noticed was that Gore talked about saving the environment, and it didn’t surprise me, but there was no environment box for me to check, so I really did not know what to put for that ad.

My favorite Ad was the Bush ad that did not talk about policy or any issues in general, but he acknowledged the fact that there is shit going on in the world, but I am here to be open and transparent with the people, so we can keep moving forward. He seems super down-to-earth and likable, giving him credibility and giving the American people confidence in him. I love facts and actually knowing the data, but sometimes ads that just let the people know everything will be ok and that someone will be open is a good thing.

2 thoughts on “Blog post 4/1

1. Alejandra De Leon

I think that the ads about not talking about issues can be rare. Many candidates want to focus and use the time to show the people their stance and what they will work for. The ad you described seemed to work on making him be seen as an individual without necessarily pushing the candidate label to its full capacity.

2. Jennifer Schlur

I had to watch the democratic party ads for the 2020 election and they also included the theme of the environment in more than one ad. I too was surprised that there was no box to check about the environment but I guess the reason would be that it was most likely mentioned in so few ads that it was not worth it to add it as a category.