Candidate Ads

This ad put forth by Eisenhower in the 1956 presidential election was my favorite of the ones I watched from that year because of the way it told a story and the way the narrator is an average American citizen instead of a newscaster or TV personality. The ad follows a cab driver and his dog on a walk in DC – they stop to look at the White House and the cab driver wonders aloud about Eisenhower as a person rather than a leader. In doing this, the cab driver humanizes Eisenhower and brings him to the level of the average citizen, which I think can be beneficial for anyone running for president. Part of this humanization of Eisenhower comes about in talking about where he came from – a small town and a poor, hardworking family.

Even though some of the things the cab driver mentions are war and violence, the overall feeling of the ad is peaceful and makes the audience feel like all of those things will be okay because Eisenhower has it covered. The overwhelming feeling of security is present here as well. The ad shows the American people, and says, “I think he knows all about people like me…”, “he’s thinking about children maybe”, and “how to help farmers grow crops”, etc. At the end, the cab driver says, “while I’m thinking of him, I got a feeling he’s thinking of me”. This gives the audience the sense that Eisenhower really is thinking of them and cares about each individual. Given nothing else, this is definitely an ad that would make me want to vote Eisenhower into office.

2 thoughts on “Candidate Ads

1. Theresia Keppel

I think the way this ad is able to bring up war and violence while remaining peaceful is interesting and was likely reassuring to the American people at the time. This ad makes Eisenhower seem like that same secure and calming feeling that is present through the story telling.

2. Michael Childress

i really liked the fact that you talked about the humanization of Eisenhower and the effect on voters. I definitely believe that being a relatable person is one of the most important things about being an effective leader. If your audience can’t connect with you then how can you expect them to connect with you and how can you lead them?