Blog Post for 3/30/2021

The Dorner reading discusses humans’ general inability to , or to accurately predict non-linear consequences of their actions. Dorner also uses the example of engineers at the Chernobyl plant to explain how experienced people tend to make decisions based on “intuition”, which leads to overcorrections and errors. In the podcast, Dr. Bezio mentioned how in the traditional (or at least stereotypical) model of leadership, one person makes decisions and commits to executing a plan. In reality, it makes more sense to have a team of people assessing a situation’s variables, and making small adjustments as they go.

I hadn’t considered that short-sighted thinking and the tendency to only try to solve problems was an evolved trait of humans. It makes sense, as there’s no room for indecision or speculation in the wild. Plus, our current societal environment is more static and predictable than the environments faced by early humans. For example, most of us woke up today with some kind of plan in place. I knew that I would have several classes throughout the day, I knew where they were and when they would occur, and I know what work I need to finish before I go to sleep tonight. Contrast that with someone having to wake up every morning and go out in search of food, or be ready to defend themself at a moment’s notice. The structure and security of my daily life removes certain variables, which should allow me to focus on others and plan proactively. There is no planning proactively when you’re constantly worried about protecting yourself and fulfilling your basic needs.

3 thoughts on “Blog Post for 3/30/2021

1. Sofie Martinez

I completely agree with what you said Will! I think the simulation does a really great job of illustrating the ways in which our societal infrastructures provide so much for us that we don’t even realize. Specifically, I think its challenging to imagine a world where we don’t have the luxury of a 9-5. Even though we see it as a burden, it allows us to focus on enjoying aspects of life every single day- dinner with family, time to relax, etc.

2. Hayley Simms

I think you made a good point about waking up for work and then waking up for survival; on the work hand, you are waking up to get paid so you can afford to live, not just survive. Not to mention, you are waking up in a secure shelter, probably with running water. That’s not to say that everywhere is like that, but it is very perspective-changing to think about that “waking up for work” and “waking up for water” concept.

3. Sophia Hartman

I appreciated how you brought up short-sighted thinking and reactive problem-solving nature as evolved traits of humans. I think we often judge one another for doing this, despite it being inherent to our nature. This creates a tension, because it is important to try to think in the long term and consider those around us in the systems we have today, this behavior requires conscious effort to combat our subconscious survival tendencies.