Podcast 5- Buy Me

http://https://youtu.be/xxNxqveseyI

I saw this ad for the first time during the Super Bowl and at the time I appreciated it for its humor and irony. Now that I have listened to the podcast and done the reading, I can appreciate it for its effective tactics. Like the podcast talks about, when I think of ads I think of the basic act of seeing a product and wanting it. Whenever my roommate sees ads for donuts on Instagram, we end up going out to buy donuts. Not only is it like the Old Spice ad where it suggests that having an Alexa is equivalent to having a more attractive male in your house, but it also appeals to the familiar and popular by having Michael Jordan as a star in the ad. There is also the sexual appeal, mentioned by the reading as lust, that comes into play when Michael Jordan has the societal definition of attractive features such as large muscles and blue eyes.

Additionally, this ad appeals to our ‘lizard brains’ by portraying many comfortable and inviting images like a backyard barbecue, dinner cooking on the stove, and a warm bubble bath. Overall, this ad seems to insinuate that having an Alexa will bring you all of these good experiences and make you popular and ‘in the norm’ of culture. The funny jokes like “It’s getting way too wet around here” turn the humor from funny to memorable, increasing the effectiveness and memorability of the ad.

2 thoughts on “Podcast 5- Buy Me

1. Christopher Wilson

After watching that ad, I will admit that I now want to buy an Alexa for myself! Your favorite celebrity’s voice feature, such as Michael Jordan’s voice, will definitely attract many customers who might not ever have the chance to meet their celebrity crush but can still have a connection with them. Also, you are right in that it appeals to “many comfortable and inviting images” that, especially during a pandemic, we all need right about now.

2. Laura Roldan

Amazon’s Alexa is a very interesting and attractive product–I have always wanted one and this ad really convinced me how much I want one. Utilizing celebrities in ads is a very effective tactic, because our society glorifies celebrities as above human beings, especially people like Michael Jordan. If Michael Jordan utilizes an Alexa and you can even use his voice as a voice feature, that attracts an abundance of fans to buy the product. If Alexa had a voice feature for Harry Styles I would IMMEDIATELY buy it.